Jaguar Land Rover

More good news from Brexit. Jaguar will move production from the UK to the EU if we end up with less than the same free movement of goods as now. With all the implications that has on the many small companies who supply then with parts.

Just how much more 'good' news can we stand?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've overlooked the "if" in their statement, nobody knows how that will end up, so just sit tight?

The aussies (who have more recent experience at negotiating trade deals than us) claim you should ignore everything that's said before the final three weeks to the deadline as posturing ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds about right.

Reply to
RJH

That's alright then. We will have a bit more total uncertainty, that's all. Just keep loading the freezer with food and medicine and hope not to lose your job. No worries there?

It's become a complete joke. I hear the people of North Somerset are going to form a mob of sans-cullottes to scale the walls of the Reely-Smug estate and burn his chateau.

Tim w

Reply to
TimW

as JLR sell 20% of their cars in the UK

and 20% of their cars in Europe

moving to Europe would simply mean that they have to pay tariffs on the 20% that they export back to the UK instead of the 20% that they export to Europe, after having paid out hundreds of millions to move their factory

They are BLUFFING

tim

Reply to
tim...

You are stupid if you believe that.

They have told you the extra costs they will suffer from if they don't get a free trade deal and what is likely to happen.

If you want to produce figures about how much they will lose as a result of no trade deal feel free to post some facts.

Remember its not just tariffs on cars its all the extra costs of customs clearance and tariffs on the bits moving around before the cars get built. You don't think that the cars are built in Britain from British parts do you?

Reply to
dennis

You havent established that there will be any tariff on EU cars imported into the UK after BRexit or that it will be at the same rate as the EU charges either.

instead of the 20% that they export to

Yes.

Reply to
Josh Nack

And they will also be able to use the existing EU export agreements to many countries - which the UK hasn't started thinking about negotiating.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which the UK has not publicly announced for fear of upsetting the EU and sending it into another temper tantrum.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't believe that all these parts current travel across borders without paperwork and EU bureaucracy taking place in back offices do you? Many parts are sourced outside of the EU even though they may be branded with a company name that is associated with a EU country.

Reply to
alan_m

which also go both ways,

some of the parts are currently imported from rEU

some will be exported from the UK, if they move.

we have a significant automotive parts "industry"

And the point is that they will have to suffer those costs in one direction OR the other, they either pay the additional costs of selling in the EU from the UK, or the PAY the costs of selling to the UK from the EU.

If a company does 90% of its business in rEU and 10% in the UK then it makes sense to move, as they will effectively save the costs on 80% of their sales

but if the UK/EU sales are the same the costs saving from moving will be ZERO

tim

Reply to
tim...

but it will be

It's a nonsense for it to be otherwise, as we will have no negotiation chips to entice ROW to enter into an FTA if we don't charge those tariffs.

tim

Reply to
tim...

we've HAVE started to think about it

It's just that we cannot sign the deals until we know what the future arrangements with the EU will be

but it's pretty moot. JLR doesn't sell many cars to the countries on the list

tim

Reply to
tim...

You don't know that.

Australia has in fact chosen to scrap its tariffs on cars and had previously scrapped its tariffs on all sorts of other stuff and didn't see the need for any bargaining chips and continued to pursue free trade agreements with various other countrys like Japan, Korea etc and has just signed another with Indonesia too.

And the UK car industry is mostly foreign owned now anyway.

Reply to
Josh Nack

Perhaps that doesnt matter if the EU is not that imnportmnt an export market.

Briatin might save a huge amount of red tape by simply declaring that it is a free trade country and will apply no tarriffs to anyone.

And it will be low on corporation tax.

If the EU then puts up tarriffs to the UK, as a member of the WTO the EU has to put up tariffs for EVERYONE it doesn't have a trade deal with... .Maybe not what is desirable.

The point is under WTO rules britain can't be made a special case, unless the EU does a trade deal with us. Abd why would we do a worse deal than WTO?

Trading with the EU under WTO rules is not a bad deal at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"China was the company?s largest sales region in 2017 with annual sales of 146,399, up 23 per cent year-on-year. North America reported a calendar year record with sales of 128,097, 9 per cent up on the previous high in 2016.'

Jaguar Land Rover?s retail sales were 138,643 in Europe which it said was 'in line with the previous year despite difficult market conditions in the region'. Sales were down 0.5 per cent down in other Overseas markets."

"Expansion is global, not just domestic, he said. JLR is building the E-Pace and all-electric I-Pace under licence in Graz in Austria.

It built 80,000 cars in China last year and will build the new E-Pace there for the growing Chinese market: ?We?ve been really pleased with our bounce-back in China,? said Mr Goss. ?There?s huge optimism there.?

JLR is about to open this year a vast new factory in Slovakia, with an initial capacity of 150,000 vehicles. The first vehicle off the line is the new Land Rover Discovery. It also builds 5,000 vehicles a year in India and 7,000 in Brazil.

Currently it does not build vehicles in North America ? its second biggest market.

Mr Goss said: ?We always say ?never say never?. But at the moment there are no plans to build cars in the USA.? "

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really relevant to tariff issues - the average car made in the UK purchases 44% of its components from UK suppliers. But the proportion of this actually made in the UK ?is somewhere between 20% and 25%?, which is a long way from the 55?60% threshold needed to qualify for any FTA.

mechanic

Yes it is given that tariffs are about protecting local industry.

Irrelevant to whether the UK will choose to have tariffs on car imports after BRexit.

Reply to
Josh Nack

but it is

Don't be silly

You've been sniffing too much ERG pixy dust

which is exactly why we are seeking to do this, except for snorters of ERG pixy dust.

where did anyone suggest that we would?

But there ARE much better deals

tim

Reply to
tim...

Err, Brexiteers positively thrive on 'ifs'. Why do you expect others not to do the same? But when it come from one in charge of a company rather than the likes of Farage etc in charge of nothing, perhaps more credible?

But it was all going to be so easy, we were promised by Bexiteers. The whole world just gagging for trade deals with the UK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)