Is there any way of defogging plastic floodlight covers?

As header really. I have a few 70w metal halide discharge floodlights. The covers are clear plastic, possibly polycarbonate similar to those used on cars. Covers are moulded so replacement with clear glass is not an option. These are now rather foggy and hindering the light output considerably.

As my stock of lamps dwindles I intend to replace these with led luminaires, but I have enough lamps to last perhaps a couple of years. Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

At the recommendation of a friend, I've recently used one of these on my car headlights:

-- with great success. There are lots of videos of people doing it, so you can set about it with confidence.

J.

Reply to
Another John

Many thanks John, I had no idea such existed. Reviews on site are all good. Might give it a try. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Toothpaste, water & very clean cloth. Plenty of youtube vids for car headlights

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Scrape it down with a stanley blade on edge and give it a coat of clear nail varnish. Lasted a couple of years until I replaced the lamps.

Reply to
Capitol

Fogging due to UV emission from the lamp is not normally just on the surface.

If the lamps are angled well down (as they should be), you might look to see if you think they will be OK without the covers.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sounds like the old Citreon headlight syndrome. I did read thatthere was a process that partly could clear them but eventually, they got bad again and the treatment tended to make them very brittle and prone to crack. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brasso, Colourcut, toothpaste, Autoglime chrome polish or any fine abrasive polish will do it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield