Is it sensible - concrete

I've just seen some 'professionals' lay a 20m x 25m L shape, with the house the square in the missing 7x10 square in the corner and all laid as one slab?

Seems almost certain to pretty soon crack to me, there are no expansion gaps.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Slab for what? Hardstanding?

If not massively thick a stihl saw will probly be employed soon to add some 'fracture' lines to control that.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

JimK formulated the question :

Yes, hard-standing for car parking. Mmm I had not thought of a cutting it later, good point.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Or angle grinder. You don't have to go all the way through, just about half way.

Reply to
harryagain

/Or angle grinder. You don't have to go all the way through, just about half way/q

The op mentioned 'professionals' so I doubt they'd be titting about with extension leads and avoiding showers.....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

JimK formulated the question :

It seems not. They have been back this morning (it seems set) to clean up and no attempt to cut any expansion gaps, but I'll keep an eye on it..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Phil L used his keyboard to write :

Seems unlikely now, they have coated it with that stuff they coat surfaces with to make it impervious lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

/Harry Bloomfield Phil L used his keyboard to write :

Er.... Paint? Tarmac?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

JimK explained on 20/11/2014 :

That clear coat stuff - Hmmm!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I reckon itll make its own

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I vaguely recall seeing some concrete that was laid over size, then some time later, a very large water cooled diamond grinder was used to cut expansion gaps. Can't remember where.

Reply to
Tim Watts

First thing that occurred to me is does Harry know there arent dividers just below the surface?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

He does know there are definitely none what so ever, which was what aroused his curiosity.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that snipped-for-privacy@care2.com formulated :

The hard core was laid and levelled over the entire area, then one of those large mix on site to order trucks arrived and that was just laid over the entire massive area in one go. No dividers at all, just a single very large slab. 24 hours later, the entire surface was covered with brush on surface sealer from a large tub. I suspect the concrete might have been quite a thin layer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield