Iron-on clothes repair?

My wife had a small accident while altering my new pair of trousers, resulting in a clean cut about 1/2" long near the side of one knee. I recall once seeing some sort of adhesive-backed stuff that could be stuck to cloth by a hot iron. Anyone know what it's called please, and likely sources?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

I remember this stuff in the late 50s being called mend-a-tear. I've not seen it around since then though. You might get a so-called invisible repair done at a dry cleaners.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Vilene, available at haberdashers.

If you're desperate mail me, I'll send you some.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Also at.... Woolworths (or was, at least when I bought some last, some couple of years ago)!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Wundaweb is one brand.

I've seen an equivalent in the sewing and mending section (on one of the aisle-ends) in Tesco.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Tesco has it - look on the end of aisles, it'll be on a stand with the needles, thread and stuff like that.

Reply to
Geoffrey

That's the one!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:42c1bd85$0$23043 $ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

Good stuff - made me into a seamstress

mike

Reply to
mike ring

LOL!

It's got me out of a sticky situation many times. It was a godsend when the children were young, they always seemed to point out dropped hems on skirts and trousers just as they were leaving for school!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I thought Wundaweb was an iron-on hemming material, rather than a repair patch.

Yes, although I found that does not like too many passes through the washing machine.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

No, it's not. That's adhesive on both sides, and is used for hemming, etc. And it tends to come away after repeated washing (most of my trousers are hemmed with it!).

Personally, I'd take it to the local dry cleaners. If the trousers are reasonable ones, it's worth the money to get someone who does it all the time to do a neat job.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Clearly someone who's not read Terry Pratchett!

Reply to
OG

Thanks for all the replies. If I've understood correctly, VILENE seems the stuff I want. And there is an (unnmamed?) equivalent sold at Tescos. Wundaweb is not recommended, as it's not intended for small 'open area' repairs like this, but for hems, and anyway comes off too easily when washed.

My thoughts too turned at once to 'Invisible Repair', but last time I explored this locally 4-5 years ago I could find no one doing it anymore. After £50 for the Rohan trousers, I also find a cheap repair attractive!

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

I wondered if they might be Rohan.

Always worth asking Rohan how much they'd charge; I've found them very good (and cheap) and repairs in the past, although I haven't tried lately. Details of their repair service are on their website.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If Littlehampton is sufficiently local, try the shoe repair shop in the road just south of the arcade that contains the main post office. His wife does excellent and remarkably cheap clothing alterations and repairs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

As suggested, I've not found those iron on things very durable. They might be ok if in a non stress area, used to stick on a patch on the inside, but I'd sew it if you can. If you glue it first you can make sure its all aligned accurately.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Could this possibly be covered under your house insurance as accidental damage?

David

Reply to
spambin

"OG" wrote in news:42c1da1e$0$6484 $ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com:

Certainly have, I've read them all (or at least all the ones that made it into the library)

Regrettably a sad falling off in standards lately, but isn't that always the way?

But I've learned not to ride on dragons unless I REALLY believe, not to call the Librarian a monkey, stay away from other folks Luggage, etc, but I've missed the seamstress bit.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

In message mike ring wrote: [snip]

"In Ankh-Morpork seamstress is commonly used as a polite euphemism for 'young women whose affection is, not to put too fine a point on it, negotiable'"

and

"A survey by the Ankh-Morpork Guild of Merchants of tradespeople in the dock areas of Ankh-Morpork found 987 women who gave their profession as 'seamstress.' Oh....and two needles"

Reply to
Jim White

Presumably they don't prick themselves....

Reply to
Andy Hall