Intermediate switch, two gang

As subject, does anyone know of any standard size light switches with two switches, at least one a 2p 2w switch that can be used as an intermediate switch in a three way lighting circuit?

MK don't appear to do one, and I have got bored searching other catalogues, most of which are pretty impenetrable.

Many thinks for any tips.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Two of these

or (as it seems you don't need two intermediates) one can be the cheaper two way switch

plus these two

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd vaguely seen grid switches, but assumed, equally vaguely, that they didn't fit standard domestic backboxes. That will do nicely!

Many thanks!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Not sure about all, but the ones here won't fit a plaster depth box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For normal looking switches then

2 x MD002WH 1 x MD008WH 1 x CMA403

unless you want chrome, brushed steel etc

Reply to
ARW

That's worth knowing, but the particular application has to be a surface box, so that is no problem. In any case, with one change over and one two way, a mixture of 1.5mm and 1mm the wires need quite a deep box to accommodate them.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Thanks, another nice catalogue to look through!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

If it's a surface mount box, having to change it won't be much of a problem?

When I wired this house, I used grid switches in all the halls and stairs area to allow me to have any combination of two way and intermediate etc while still matching looks wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The MK Grid Plus range blends in pretty well with their Logic Plus range, I've replaced every accessory (apart from those in the shed and garage) with one or the other over the years. The Scolmore ones do look a decent range too, if I were starting from scratch I would consider them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I wired this place they didn't. Totally different design of rocker. Possibly because one range had been updated, the other not yet. Therefore I went for Crabtree who had a modern looking grid system. Which still looks OK today - some 40 years down the line.

There's a much bigger range of grid switch makers these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or just buy one of these

ARW

Very good! I looked for one of those a couple of years ago and couldn't find one. Can't have looked hard enough. Shame MK don't make them, I'm trying to gradually move to consistency as I redecorate things, only 13 years so far and I'm about a quarter of the way.

Anyway I've ordered the MK grid switches, which seem to look a bit like their ordinary ones.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Do not you have plates with differing numbers of holes ,into which you put any type of mechanism that you wish, as we do in Australia?

Reply to
FMurtz

Yes, the various 'grid' systems mentioned; but they're far from the norm in domestic installations.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. But more expensive than 'ready made' units. And for some reason the cheaper the better seems the most important thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Strange,in AU almost any house or unit here has switches similar to my recent post, go into any hardware or electrical wholesalers and just ask for one gang,two gang or whatever, the standard mech is capable of 2 way but for intermediate you would probably have to go to an elec wholesaler, large hardware's sometimes carry intermediate mechs.

Changing the subject slightly,I had occasion to fix a ceiling pull switch recently but they are so rare here now that they cost nearly $50.00 (we stopped using them many years ago) but it seems the UK still uses them so I bought one of yours for $12.00 free postage.

Reply to
FMurtz

oftern used in bathrooms/washrooms to keep wet hands away from switches.

Reply to
charles

Buying ready made in 1-4 gang 2way in a big variety of makes/styles is easy here. It's when you want an intermediate that things become tricky.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)