Insulation around wiring

I'm about to add some insulation to a suspended timber ground floor room

- PIR between the joists.

The room has a number of sockets with wiring that runs down the wall and under the floor. I can lay the bulk of the wiring to joists, away from the insulation. It's the vertical section that I'm not sure about. How best to insulate around this short section of wiring?

Reply to
RJH

gun foam - shouldn't hurt the cable and a short insulated section makes no real difference.

If you are worried, stick a split bog roll or something around the cable and foam upto that, leaving a clear way for the cable.

Reply to
Tim Watts

But FTAOD do not allow a route for a draught of cold air to come up from under the floor behind the skirting board. At the very least plug the ends.

Reply to
Robin

Use fire rated, the white stuff can go off like a firework

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Some times insulation derates the current carrying capacity of the cable.

Reply to
FMurtz

You don't usually worry about 100mm or less if the cable passes through it.

If the insulation is covering the cable, that's different, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have just been working in a "super insulated" new build,

Super insulated my arse.

There was a draught at the back of every wall when I was fitting the sockets on the dry lined walls.

Reply to
ARW

Some Building Control departments test a house (or a small samples) for leak rate. I guess these have never been checked?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes, the insulation could cover the wiring - but only the 50mm that runs down the wall.

I'll caulk the hole where the cable goes through the floor and fashion a length of conduit for that 50mm.

Reply to
RJH

I've noticed that in my once uninsulated old build. Remove a socket or switch on a windy day and quite a gale blows through.

Reply to
RJH

That house will be pressure tested. They will foam gun all those cracks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that's only guaranteed if it's a stand-alone build. Last time I looked the regs only required an air permeability test on three units of a kind on an estate. And even if that test is done properly, by a truly independent contractor, I don't see a few squirts of foam behind sockets making good underlying problems such as missing vapour barriers.

Reply to
Robin

AIUI if it's an estate, the builders only need to pressure test a small sample of the houses ... will they seal the others?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or pay off the guy doing the pressure testing to give it a pass?

It happens.

Reply to
ARW