Insulate under floorboards without pulling them all up?

AFAIKS its bog standard glass/rockwool type insulation with a film round it to make it less unpleasant to handle.

Reply to
John Rumm

I guess that foil type insulation comes into the category of 'just-too-good-to-be-true'. I read somewhere when doing a bit of research that claims made for it have been officially discredited so it's a bit surprising that it's still on sale.

As far as getting fibreglass, encapsulated or otherwise, into restricted places is concerned I think it's the usual story; if somebody wants to do it they'll find a way to do it, which is what DIY is all about. The OP will no doubt experiment until he gets it right, and good luck to him with his experiments.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Very probably - boil in the bag insulation. They do seem to emphasise that it's made from recycled glass but that's probably true of most fibreglass insulation. The encapsulation has a foil vapour barrier on one side so that's a bit of a bonus, and it is very pleasant to handle.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In article , Cicero writes

I think there are still those that believe it works and at least as many who are prepared to spend the outrageous amount that it costs to tick a box and get BR approval for installations in which it patently will not work.

It does have its uses however, I've been using it as a weight loss aid for a few years now. Every time I feel the need to go out and exercise I just open the mfrs spec on the computer and I laugh my arse off, the pounds have been falling off.

Reply to
fred

robgraham wrote

But I didn't say "pull it down". I said "overboard it": Screw the new insulating board up onto the old L+P ceiling with the screws going through both and into the joists.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I think it was Rob who writ:

In another room I have a lathe and plater ceiling I will remove and insert plasterboard because:

1) its cracked and sagging 2) the lathes have woodworm 3) I want to keep the level so I can keep the plaster mouldings along the edges [g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Yes, I have reconsidered, and my new plan will be to stop draughts especially at the edges by the skirting boards, and put in a good underlay and carpet.

This would mean having to remove all the stuff from the room, and shortening the door, but that's OK, I'm sure there would have been lots of snags trying to insualte underneath, and draughts would not be eliminated.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Thanks.