improving insulation, in converted attic?

What is the easiest way to improve loft insulation, where the loft has been converted to a room.

Is there a simpler way than removing the plasterboard, inserting rockwool insulation, and reboarding?

Reply to
Simon

Leaving the plasterboard there, covering it with 50mm kingspan, put new plasterboard over it. This is of course both more expensive, and will take up more room.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

without spending a fortune on rigid insulation, you have little choice other than to do as above...do you mean between house and loft or between loft and outside?

Reply to
Phil L

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:37:34 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Simon" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Aside from the fact that you shouldn't remove the plasterboard, insert Rockwool and reboard. You need to maintain a ventilation space above the insulation of 50mm; Rockwool between the rafters is a relatively poor insulator; and most illegally converted lofts will have had the plasterboard fixed directly under the 3" or 4" rafters, meaning that you probably only have enough space for 25mm-50mm insulation between.

The best way to improve the insulation is to take off all the plasterboard from the walls, take up the floor, remove any stairs, fit a loft hatch, and then put about 300mm Rockwool between the ceiling joists. This will also have the advantage of removing a death trap.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

With a suitable escape window, and fire alarms, I don't really see an issue.

If it was me, I'd be looking at 25mm airgap, 50-75mm fiberglass against the rafters, and lots of ventilation at the ridge and bottom - 10mm gap or so. Then 25mm kingspan under that, properly taped up to make a vapour barrier.

If I was being cheap, 100-120mm of fiberglass, with slices of 50mm kingspan along the joists, to extend them out, reduce their heat leaks, and provide extra space for cheap fiberglass, then plasterboard, again with a proper vapour barrier.

Reply to
Ian Stirling