IKEA Disappointment (Rant)

Right. So things will be so much better when we get rid of all immigrants and jobs will be chasing people?

Yawn. A poorly motivated workforce is always down to poor management.
--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Always? Union fighting stupid political battles don't also reduce motivation?
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 50th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
Celebrate Chaoflux

You think IKEA unionised?
BTW, love to have an example of a union fighting a 'political battle' Unless you consider them fighting to protect jobs and conditions political.
Of course many think their job is to just lie down and accept any shit a government decides to shovel on them - in 'the interests of the country'. But that wasn't what I paid a union subscription for.
--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Don't be a sap Dave. What d'ye think the Southern business is all about, other than a attempt to bring down the government.

Of course. Govia have such an appalling record of running the service, they'll do any mischief they can as they know they'll not get renewed. And, of course, aren't actually losing money by cancelling trains.
BTW, I don't actually know what that dispute is about. Both sides keep any facts to themselves.
--
*CAN AN ATHEIST GET INSURANCE AGAINST ACTS OF GOD?

Screw Govia, I'm not here to praise them

Even though driver operated doors happen all over the rest of the network? And the big cheese of RMT or ASLEF or whatever it's called is on record as saying their mission is to bring down the govt?
--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk

All the rest of the network has driver operated doors? What have you been smoking?

And the management would love to bring down the union. And support the government. So what?
--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Still got conventional guards here. They sell tickets as well.
DOO probably works for smallish trains, but the Southern commuter ones can be massive - 8 or 12 carriages.

And check them too on the train. And assist when the train splits or joins up.

Yup. And the station platforms can be packed solid at rush hour. Of course some think half a dozen TV cameras multiplexed onto a small monitor gives as good a view as a decent pair of eyes, but others would disagree.
--
*Beware - animal lover - brakes for pussy*

If that's the plan, the franchise holder is doing a lot better at it than the unions!
Surely it is largely a rearguard action against automation and deskilling, like the one fought and lost in Fleet Street?
--

Roger Hayter

Nothing like Fleet Street. One of the fairly rare occasions where I thought the unions involved in that were misguided. They should have grabbed the new technology and got an agreement for it. It was fairly obvious even to an outsider that the new technology was going to happen.
If it were new trains (and stations), fully automated and no driver needed, the arguments would be different.
--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Southern Rail. That's pure politics. Not party politics, sure, but it's about who runs the railways. It sure as shit doesn't have anything to do with two man operation.

It can be.

Me neither. But then, neither do I imagine that union bosses are pure as the driven snow motivated by nothing more than their member's interests.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 50th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
Celebrate Chaoflux

You don't consider it to be protecting existing jobs?

I'm one of those who know union bosses don't have that much power. There is no chance they can go against the views of their union, as expressed by the members at annual conference etc. They'd be out on their arse. Of course the meja far prefer to have an individual they can hate.
In an actual dispute, they may have to take some decisions on the fly. But at the end of the day they'd not last five minutes without the backing of those who pay their wages - the members.
--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

And who pays the members wages?
--
Adam

Do you actually need an answer to that?
--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 22:51:49 UTC, Max Demian wrote:

Damn right I would. Acting like losers ensures people stay losers.
NT
wrote in message

Indeed. The type of person who asks, "Would you on minimum wage?" is the sort who has no self respect.
On Sunday, 19 February 2017 11:30:08 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

it shows poor management.
On Monday, 20 February 2017 13:00:02 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

either poor managers or poor workers. (Or both.) It's the shop floor workers that are doing it after all.
NT
On Monday, 20 February 2017 13:04:13 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

even shop floor workers need to have some sort of training or should have.