IKEA Disappointment (Rant)

Ok so the good news is that we have finally found a table for the kitchen after deciding we wanted one about 2 years ago.
As we live in Hull with no IKEA, our first exposure was visiting the Edinburgh store last weekend with our daughter. There we saw just what we wanted, so headed off to the Leeds store this morning.
Maybe nobody cares any more, but I could not believe the attitude of the staff in there. It seemed to start at disinterested and progress to borderline surly by the time we reached the loading area. We interacted with four members of staff in our short visit and didn't receive an ounce of actual customer service from any of them. Makes you wonder if this aspect of their job is ever checked or considered at any point.
Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks to all Some illuminating comments there.
Being somewhat averse to "shopping trips" in general, it is reassuring that others have endured similar experiences at these places.
Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
On 09:24 19 Feb 2017, TheChief wrote:

Not only is shopping at IKEA thoroughly unpleasant but many of the goods it sells are in non-standard sizes.
I would only shop there as a last resort.
On 19/02/2017 14:12, pamela wrote:

But Phil wanted a table.
Do tables have standard sizes?
--
Adam

On 15:28 19 Feb 2017, ARW wrote:

That's why I said "many" not "all".

Depends how you view that. I'm glad that our IKEA bed is 150cm wide rather than the 140 that appears to be standard everywhere I go. And which is very irritating.
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
On 16:13 19 Feb 2017, Tim Streater wrote:

When you need to get a replacement mattress you may find it tricky. We had that problem. Same goes for their bed linen in non-standard sizes.
The only thing I would buy from IKEA is their Billy bookcase.

Why would I need a replacement mattress? I bought an orthopaedic one in 1980 also in Geneva when I bought the bed - a good solid slab of foam which is just as solid now as when I bought it
For bed linen, we use king size duvets or whatever it is that overhang the sides by about a foot each side.
The one thing that is more of a problem is the jersey stretch sheet [1] that one lies on. That is not easily available in the UK so I have to go abroad for them.

Their screw-together cheap shelving (such as I've put in the attic, shed, and spare room) is also very good.
[1] These sheets stretch over the mattress and so don't need ironing.
--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."
On 19/02/2017 18:29, Tim Streater wrote:

They slow down with age.
--
Adam

On 18:29 19 Feb 2017, Tim Streater wrote:

My experience is different.
By chance, this last week we have been looking for a replacement mattress for an IKEA bedframe. The frame is wider than standard, so we will probably throw it out (we should have done that long ago as it always gave poor support to the mattress) and buy a complete bed. In actual fact, the original IKEA mattress got thrown out some time ago and this worn one is a standard mattress that has never fitted the bed from properly.
We had the same sort of problem with the bed linen where some of the duvet covers are too long for the duvet inside and have been a continuous nuisance over the years requiring safety-pinning to avoid the duvet moving inside.
That's why I would never buy an IKEA bed, mattress, or bed linen ever again. Apart from which, their quality isn't always all that great even if the price seems attractive at the time. We probably saved something like ?50 and it really hasn't been worth it.

I bought a second one of these IKEA beds about 20 years ago (from their Lakeside store) with an IKEA mattress. That's for guests so doesn't get used a lot but I agree is not as good as my 1980 one which didn't some from IKEA.

We've not bought bed linen from IKEA so haven't had that problem apart, as I say, for the sheet which obviously has to fit the mattress.
Once I discovered jersey stretch sheets in 1980 I started wondering why everyone doesn't use them.
--
"... you must remember that if you're trying to propagate a creed of
poverty, gentleness and tolerance, you need a very rich, powerful,
On 19/02/17 18:57, Tim Streater wrote:

Ikea do bed linen in two sizes, 150cm and a special for the UK size of 140cm. No all of the range is available in both sizes though.

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On 19/02/2017 18:29, Tim Streater wrote:

Even sheets which don't stretch over the mattress don't need ironing...
pamela wrote:

They sell beds in both British and European sizes now. And even if you have one of the European sizes it's not difficult to find a replacement mattress - you can get one in IKEA!
Mike
Tim Streater wrote:

I started shopping at IKEA when there were only a couple of stores. Because of stock problems, and aided by an assistant who was willing to cross a few software barriers, I bought the basic parts of my living room units in Neasden, and all the doors drawers and shelves in Warrington the following day.
I visited Wolverhampton on its opening day, to return a spare roll of wallpaper - also meant I could get in through customer services and avoid the queues :-)
Had a bizarre visit to Nottingham, which is now really handy for me, on a day when breakfast was free to those turning up before 9 am in nightwear.
I like their continental bed sizes and don't have a problem with getting the matching bed linen from them. ES lampholders work for me. The old Sten shelving is a real workhorse, there is more choice of storage solutions than most folk could want. Most of my house is furnished by IKEA.
Overall I find their stuff to be well designed and good value, and look forward to my shopping visits, usually taking advantage of their very affordable restaurant.
Knowing the shortcuts is certainly useful. Once upon a time Neasden also had a quick way back to the entrance from the checkouts, and it may have been there that the quickest way to the marketplace was to walk straight through the lift.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

It was the queue at customer services which really pissed me off. Croydon branch on a Saturday. The entire borough seemed to be returning things they'd bought earlier. And I just wanted the missing bits from a pack I'd bought the day before replaced.
After waiting about two hours and still not near the front of the queue, I went into the warehouse, open a pack of the desk I'd bought, and got the missing bits. And just walked out. I'd actually loved to have been challenged...
--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 11:14:46 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

There's your mistake. Never go to Ikea on a weekend, or during school half term holidays.

I had a half built bit of furniture cluttering up the place. Bought earlier that week. And was working very long hours each day on the next week.
--
*Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.*

jim wrote:

West of Birmingham, begins with "W", I was nearly there.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 12:33:08 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Considering you missed West Bromwich, Walsall and Warley ...