Identifying cable for shower

I'm thinking of upgrading our existing electric shower to something a little more powerful. However, I'm not sure what current cabling is.

The cable has the following markings:

BASEC BS 6004 "4" ATOM KABLO 2x10 +4

Does the 2x10, mean 10mm?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
absolute0

My guess is 2 X 10mm square 4 core

Reply to
Robbo

I've just checked at the switched end, and it's 3 core.

Reply to
absolute0

Apologies for the confusion, maybe I should have stated the cable will be 3 core, but consists of 4 heavy copper cores per strand of each colour so to speak

Reply to
Robbo

Seven strands per core, and the +4 is the CPC size:

BASEC = British Approval SErvice for Cables,

6004 = the British standard, covers most PVC insulated fixed wiring cable types;

"4" = dunno, pass;

Atom Kablo = the manufacturer (Turkish);

2x10 = no. and size of the live conductors, 2 x 10 mm^2;

+4 = size of the CPC (circuit protective conductor, aka earth), 4 mm^2.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Brilliant. Thank you!

According to:

I should be ok with a 9.8K load (shower) over a 30m length with this cable, and also use the existing 45A breaker.

Many thanks

Dave

Cables,

> BS 6004 = the British standard, covers most PVC insulated fixed wiring > cable types;

Reply to
absolute0

Yes, but voltage drop is not the only consideration. Consult Table 7.1 in the IEE On-Site Guide for reliable information.

10/4 cable on a 45 A circuit is OK up to 49 m on voltage drop, but that length may be reduced or the cable disallowed due to earth fault loop impedance considerations. If the MCB is Type B to the current standard (BS EN 60898) then the length limit is 35 m if you have TN-S earthing or 49 m for TN-C-S (PME). However with an old Type 2 MCB the circuit would not comply with the regs at all with TN-S earthing, unless you fit an RCD to provide earth fault disconnection.
Reply to
Andy Wade