I got a Nikon Camera...........

I got a Nikon Coolpix L830 for my birthday.

Started to read the 204 page instruction manual online. It has a function called 'pet portrait' where you point & frame the shot and as soon as it detects a cat or dog it shoots 3 frames without you pressing the button!

Ever spookier it has 'smart portrait' where you frame a persons face & nothing happens until they smile. Then and only then it takes a photo!

Tried (the latter) function on my beautiful No 2 daughter. It works when she smiled showing teeth or not, but no other facial expression would trigger it.

I'm slightly scared of it!

Reply to
David Lang

Wouldn't be any good for taking passport photos then - you're not allowed to smile!

Reply to
Roger Mills

My first reaction would be to disable anything that took control away from me.

Reply to
Davey

You can pretty much override it, but it's so piggin clever you would rarely need to.

Reply to
David Lang

It's not the software in your camera that's doing it. It's much more like pilot-less drones taking out terrorists. There is a employee back in the Nikon factory monitoring what you camera is doing and pressing the remote button when a pet or smiling kid comes into frame.

Reply to
alan_m

I have a spare metal hat for sale if you would like it..... The little propeller for the top is extra, though.

Reply to
Davey

I'd actually believe that.

Reply to
David Lang

I wonder what it would make of a Halloween mask?

Sounds too clever by half. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Reminded me of a joke. I got new camera, but every time I take a picture of my pet Giraffe it cuts the head off. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

You can get your life back if you just leave the dial set to standard! I use the close up and action settings regularly and have recently enabled the wifi and gps

Reply to
stuart noble

Conjures up an image of family members with a variety of broken limbs :) Only room for one control freak per household!

Reply to
Richard

This *is* uk.d-i-y. Emergency metal hats are easily fashioned out of household tinfoil. For a more durable item, start with a household colander[1]. Line with tinfoil[2]. You may need to modify the shape of your head to fit the colander. A good excuse to use your power tools Even better, a good excuse to buy more power tools!

Huh, raid the kiddie's toybox. One of those handheld windmills is easily cannibalised to suit.

[1] In the good ol' days the coal scuttle/bucket would have been a better starting point. But these are now only found in antique shops. [2] A colleague admitted he used to line his cycle helmet with tinfoil for early season road races. Helped keep his head warm and dry. Claimed he got the idea from an ex-professional rider he saw doing this.
Reply to
Dennis Davis

You sure? I think that hardware store halfway down Wincheap has them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I hear a Monty Python Black Knight in the background...

Reply to
Davey

You won't remember where the feature is when you want it - or you won't remmeber you have it until after you have take the photos.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Feature? What feature?

Is this the knight of which Davey spake?

Reply to
Richard

It was a feature-length film.....

Reply to
Davey

Has it got a "t*ts out" setting?

Reply to
ARW

"I'll bite your legs off"

Reply to
ARW

Loads of places that deal with stoves and fireplaces sell them, Not so easy to find metal chamber pots though which could also be used, though you risk people thinking you are taking the Piss.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg