Humane way to repel mice (or big mouse trap)

I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any suggestions on how to repel them?

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a mouse.

Reply to
James Harris

As for why I only suspect there is a problem, and am not certain, is that (1) I have seen what appeared to be droppings (matched against pictures on the internet), (2) I've twice caught a fleeting glimpse in the half-light of something which could have been a mouse - a fast mouse!, and (3) I occasionally hear suspect noises. It makes me itch just to think about it. :-(

Reply to
James Harris

I meant to add that the traps were quite small. I baited them with peanut butter, peanuts, chocolate, cheese etc - but with no success. I suspect the mice weren't prepared to squeeze themselves into the small space that the shop-bought traps provided.

A better option may be a home-made trap.

Reply to
James Harris

Rentokil have some tips on deterring mice

They also do a very effective humane trap

and scroll down to Live Capture Mouse Trap. But some words of advice: while they do work, and well, you must check them at least once a day, preferably twice. I had one set up in an empty property that was showing evidence of mice, and on one occasion for various reasons I wasn't able to get to the trap for several days. The poor little chap had died in the trap, soaked in his own urine. A nasty death that I would have preferred to avoid. I've never used that trap since, preferring the traditional spring-loaded instant skull crusher / spine snapper. At least the mice don't suffer.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It's a mouse and it's a pest. Just kill it.

Reply to
ARW

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Had one sneaking about in the kitchen many years ago and put a snapper thing down. Found it dead with it's hand/paw in the trap. Heart attack I suspect. I did not feel too very proud of myself.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Humane traps only work on Humans.

For mice,use a standard neck snapper. They are gone in an instant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This seems even simpler

Chris Hogg

They do work, but you need to place them where the mice run. If there is no obvious run, a good place is along the base of a wall. You are also more likely to be successful if you set several in different places. It is a good idea to wear disposable gloves when setting the trap, to avoid the possibility of them smelling of humans. As mentioned elsewhere, they have to be checked frequently - every two hours is recommended, if not always practical.

It also depends what type of mouse you have. The shop bought humane traps are suitable for field mice, but I had to use a rat trap to catch the much larger house mice. Not all rat traps are suitable, as mice can get through the mesh on some.

Reply to
Nightjar

I like that, and the Mk II version

Reply to
Andy Burns

THIS is a proper trap..

The Natural Philosopher

In a loft with insulation it can be right awkward to find them. I found using one of those wildlife cameras sometimes called trap or trail cameras very useful in finding where the pests moved about and what their timetable was. it shortened the time down to finding where they were gaining access considerably so it could be blocked.

As I have two cameras one inside the loft showed roughly where a rat was coming in and placing the other camera in the gutter pinpointed the spot. I dispatched that one as it came outside using air rifle then filled the hole in the eave with foamed in wire wool.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Agreed. It's no good putting the trap down just anywhere - it needs to be on a regularly used run. To find a run sprinkle a little flour where you think it might be and next morning there will be footprints and possibly little spots of caked flour due to a drop of mouse urine that they leak to help them to find their way back in the dark. If not then hoover up and try somewhere else.

We found that tube type humane mouse trap like the Rentokil Trap-ease worked for us when we had a female car that regularly brought in mice in to teach us (her "kittens") to catch them.

One place that we found a mouse nest was in the insulation around our oven. After we cleared it out we fitted wire mesh under the oven.

Since the cat died 6 years ago we have not been troubled with mice in the house.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

If I was forced to live in a cave, I think mice would be the last of my worries ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you were forced to live in a cave, you'd probably be glad of the protein...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

F Murtz

Before you end up with dozens, inside your cavity walls, ceiling voids and loft, dining on your electrical cables and roofing felt.

Reply to
Andrew

Think of it as a canape.

Reply to