How to stop plants from being vandalised

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice next time they try?

Thanks!

Reply to
Simon

Put a fence in front until they have grown

Reply to
Dave Jones

In article , Dave Jones writes

Chain link so the hedge will get the light.

Reply to
fred

Thread barbed wire up the centre of the plant - they'll only grab and pull one out !

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If he wanted a fence he wouldn't be growing a hedge ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I did say until!

Reply to
Dave Jones

.... or add in some prickly plants - as recommended by the boys in blue :-

or maybe the odd nettle ... or for a delayed reaction several plant species such as rue and sumach can bring some people out in a nasty rash ......

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Yes, but a fence is expensive, time consuming to install and will last far longer than the privet hedge takes to grow.

We grew very prickly hedging: rosa rugosa, pyracantha, berberis, holly, others I can't remember where we wanted to deter people. They're mostly not evergreen and certainly not as neat as clipped privet but we don't like clipping and that neatness isn't our style :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , brugnospamsia writes

Triffids.

little darlings will only do it once...

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

8x4 chipboard and length of CLS would get for £20, and a coat of paint if required.

Or camera and visit to their parent would have done the trick 20 year ago, nowadays probably come and pull them out themselves!

Or you could dig them up place in large pots and out of harms way until big enough to replant.

Or have a word with local farmer and regularly place nice and fresh manure along the bottom (smell should keep them away, might annoy the neighbours tho!) or borrow his electric fencing!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Jones

Sign saying the plant is highly toxic and anybody touching it with bare hands will suffer an agonising death ?

Reply to
Mike

You're assuming that the miscreants can read.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah. True. Oh well :-(

Reply to
Mike

From lead poisoning .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The neds will only start smoking the leaves for a 'high' and then get their lawyers to sue you when anything/nothing happens.

If you put a notice up saying "Healthy Fresh Salad Leaves - Please Pick Your Own" the plants will be left well alone, as (a) neds are allergic to anything fresher than a kebab (b) as you're inviting them to touch the plant the excitement of doing something prohibited is lost.

Owain

Reply to
Owain