How long does it take a locksmith to open a van with keys locked inside?

An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30 minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest, is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

MM

Reply to
MM

MM scribbled

You could ask the locksmith...

Reply to
Jonno

Vans still have key holes? All my door handles are just handles, there is just one keyhole under a cover so you can get the car open if the remote or car battery is dead.

Reply to
philipuk

I'm surprised that car/van locks are still made in such a way that it is possible to lock the door with the keys inside. If the front doors are still open, you'd think there would be an electronic override switch that would open the rear door.

I've never locked my keys inside any vehicle because I *always* keep them in my pocket apart from when I'm using them to open a door (assuming the remote has failed) or to operate the ignition switch; and in the latter case I always remove them as I am getting out of the car. I got into the habit of never putting the keys down anywhere (especially inside the car) even for a few seconds. Likewise if I shut a house door that has a Yale lock, I always check that I have my keys in my pocket/hand before slamming the door. It's an ingrained habit, just like giving the gear lever a waggle to confirm it's in neutral before letting the clutch up at the end of a journey or before starting the engine (though in our new car I can't stat the engine unless the clutch is down).

It's reassuring that the locksmith is taking so long to get inside, because if an expert is having this much difficulty, so will the local scrote car/van thieves.

A car that I borrowed from my local garage when my car was in for servicing had a key that had no blade and so there was no way of getting into the car if the remote key or the car battery failed. Seemed a bit of a fundamental flaw.

Reply to
NY

I can open a van vault in 30 seconds with a cordless drill and a 15mm metal drill bit. There will be some damage to the lock..

Reply to
ARW

Most scrotes jam a screwdriver into the lock and rotate the whole mass in the door panel. (On one occasion the lock was reusable!)

10 secs tops! You're clearly not up to their standard! :-)
Reply to
Fredxxx

Given it might be carrying a valuable cargo, I'd expect it to be more secure than the average van?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a key with no blade, but one is concealed inside the fob.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Van vaults or van doors?

I meant this van vault

It's something you learn how to do when the apprentice has snapped the key in the lock.

Reply to
ARW

The reason is probably because he needs to leave the lock is such a condition that the customer can carry on using the van straight away. I don't know that much about locks but possibly he might replace the cylinder meaning the customer might have to carry an extra key until they decide to get a matching cylinder at a later date.

Snatch thieves would be happy leaving the door hanging off while twokkers and thieves would sort that all out later if at all.

michael adams

michael adams

It may be a custom built van (Luton bodied or some such)in which case the make and type of locks is anybodies guess

Reply to
fred

Bit rude.

MM

Reply to
MM

How the f*ck is that rude?

Reply to
ARW

I do exactly the same as above. I follow the Japanese train drive principle where they gesture towards a lever before pulling it. I hold the key(s) in my hand and look at them.

Indeed. He said the only way to get in is to drill out the lock. I wonder whether Amazon got the driver to return to base to pick up another van. He could hardly carry on his round with potentially thousands of pounds of goods in an unlocked van.

I did wonder why a large organisation like Amazon cannot open the van remotely. I mean, we trust the internet to transmit data between a cash point and the bank.

MM

Reply to
MM

Trade secrets. Unlike with electrics and the fear of getting electrocuted, the idea probably is that if locksmiths told joe public too much, they could talk themselves out of a job. All those Youtube videos are already bad enough, as it is

michael adams

michael adams

Just because it was painted "Amazon Logistics" on the side doesn't necessarily mean it was owned by Amazon. Amazon contract all their deliveries out, allowing competing suppliers to beat each other down on price for the privilege of having Amazon livery on their vans, which they doubtless pay for themselves. Even in quiet times when the vans are sitting in the yard and the zero hours drivers are sat at home by the phone. What Amazon do have is first class tracking and comms which allows them to keep tabs on what everyone's and everything is up to. And while Amazon summoned up the locksmith to get the van back on the road as quickly as possible it will have been the delivery co. who doubtless will have picked up the tab.

City Link anyone ?

michael adams

michael adams

I live in a different world to most of you. My friend has twice locked himself out of his van, transit I think. He left the keys in the ignition and after a while the van locked itself, with him outside. Not too hard to get back in though.

Reply to
misterroy

[snippage]

Yeah, right.

Reply to
Huge

But then not everybody's like you, are they ? Quite happy to stop whatever it was you were doing at the time, and explain it all in detail to anyone who cared to ask.

No wonder you were so popular and happy in your work.

michael adams

michael adams

What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee and the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire hour for.

Reply to
soup