How long can you keep scammers on the phone?

Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the call dropped.

They wanted me to use: eventvwr

appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner software!)

Hopefully I save another victim.

I was doing other things including making a meal so very little time wasted for me.

Reply to
Fredxx

In message , Fredxx writes

They only ever call here between 1.00 and 2.00pm. Today, Michael wanted to talk about my Windows machine:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I like it when they say they are 'from' 'Windows', in the same way I like the SPAM chancers who come up with some story that might be convincing, were it not for all the typos and technical errors. ;-)

This is in comparison with the real cyber criminals who do actually ruin peoples lives etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup. Is that or my BT phone line and broadband.

I dont have either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I?ve had a large string of attempted calls from a Sheffield number, ironically supposedly about nuisance calls. They never once left a message on my call blocker though. Only found out about their game from one of those ?who called me? websites.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

49 minutes is a fine record. Well done.

I haven't had one of these fine calls for a while. I tend to tell the callers how bad scamming is for their souls/karma. So, perhaps one of them cleansed his conscience by taking me off the list?

Reply to
GB

Yep, I've not managed more than 15mins. :-(

The most amusing one was when I was asked for my ban account number so they could ID me, I told them to hang on, then I said Yes it's defenatly me on the phone I just looked in the bathroom mirror and it's definantly me talking. I'm still not sure if it was a scam or not. After a few more attemps we sort of mutually gave up.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I asked "Windows Technical" where she got my phone number from? "Microsoft gave it to us".

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

No landline for ages = no scammers.

I get the occasional call on my mobile. But Truecaller flags it up as scam, so it's muted (same for texts).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

LOL

My Mrs uses a similar technique but I'm not sure it sounds quite as good for their karma as yours does. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

At my old home we were inundated with the paki bastards ring us. Subscribed and the calls almost stopped. Took TPS to our new home. We may get two calls per week.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Do you need a landline ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Why would crooks respect a TPS listing?

Reply to
GB

I have invoked Vishnu in the past which seemed to have a bit of an effect, this is an interesting article about the other end of the phone

misterroy

Three hours is my record, including having a shower while their malware downloaded over my 'very slow internet'.

Strangely they never bothered me again...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yes.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I don't care what they respect. I'm saying that TPS worked for me.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Mr Pounder Esquire submitted this idea :

Your old number was obviously on a list and the new number after you moved, not on the scammers list. My experience of the TPS is that it makes no difference to those who might choose to ring, in the UK or from outside the UK.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

misterroy laid this down on his screen :

A good read and very informative, thank you!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well done.

I don't have that much patience. I just say "Hang on a minute" and put the receiver on the table.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris