Home wind turbines dealt a blow

One told to me by several Finns (indicating that they do poke fun at themselves:

Two Finns sit at a bar drinking continuously all night without saying a word. After 12 hours, one turns to the other and says: "Kippis" ("cheers"). The other turns to him and says: "You want to talk or you want to drink?" and turns back to his vodka.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Interesting comment to try to justify what are very distasteful remarks about 'foreigners'.

You may think it smart to analyse in detail what has been posted but to many the impression given is one of disdain for others. However, I may be mistaken and being paralytic (drunk) for a substantial part of the time is being admired. That would fit judging from the behaviour of many in this country.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

You may want to get your head out of your arse someday. You could start by readign what was written, rather than knee-jerking over what you think was written.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Or (since this is a DIY site) we could bend the rules a bit and not cheat:

William Kamkwamba did -and his invention is quickly making him famous. ..He... began making windmills when he left school at 14 because he couldn't afford the fees.

He started with a five-metre structure fashioned from plastic piping, his father's bicycle and chunks of wood. Referencing a basic design outlined in a schoolbook he cut up plastic piping and fashion them into propeller blades.

The handmade electricity generator was enough to power one light bulb in his family home. But he wanted more, he decided to construct a 12- metre version.

To replace broken plastic blades with metal ones he "took an old oil drum to the tin-smith at the trading centre and asked him to help me cut it into new blades".

And a picture of Mk 1 on here:

Weatherlawyer

You really are a charmer. I am very impressed. I 'm sorry about your manners.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

You really are a drooling fuckwad. I am not impressed. I'm sorry someone let you into the gene pool.

Reply to
Steve Firth

=D2=C1=CE=C9=D1 =D4=C5=CB=D3=D4 -

You can download a usefull program for design a wind turbine. It is easy to use:

dpartenov

Fuck off spam boy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , Edward W. Thompson writes

Or, as someone replied to a similar numpty in the BHHH elist

"If you read my email replying to your email you would see: "see

for a more detailed explanation" Grrr, don't be so thick. Do you know what Google is?

We sing dirty songs and say bad words. If it offends you, don't participate."

Reply to
geoff

Pure unadulterated bullshit.

.....but for truly remote areas of the world it may be true, however penguins, yaks and hairy mammoths have little call for electricity.

Reply to
Matt

Well it depends on wht you eman by 'big wy'

IIRC the Israelis use it to desalinate water for irrigation on quite a large scale.

There's a solar furnace somewhere in the USA desert..

Given the right application and the right location, it has its place.

Sadly its next to useless in the UK.

Might be useful to run aircon..abut the only application that needs more power the hotter it gets.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Was listening to something about this on the radio a month or so back. A significant issue is that we no longer have a nuclear industry to build any reactors like we did in the past -- we no longer have the likes of GEC and similar industries. Building up such an industry is a non-starter in any reasonable timescale. With nuclear demand increasing throughout the world, there's already a significant waiting list on new orders at the moment. Apparently the french have recently ordered another 5 or something like that too. We could just carry on paying the french to build them along their north coast for us, like we have been doing for some time now, but we don't control those.

There probably is no other option if we are to keep the lights on.

I remember well -- I was at school at the time and thought it was great fun. OTOH, part of my company has been hit by the rolling blackouts in California in more recent years, and it costs us about $1M per minute.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Gosh. A couple of weeks and that will *pay* for a nuclear set...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:41:56 +0000 someone who may be Matt wrote this:-

Reply to
David Hansen