Holes in Supporting walls

Hi Guys,

I need a little advice about making a hole 500mm x 500mm for some extraction ducting to go through.

How would i do it ? Do I need supporting ? and would a hole that small require a lintern ?

thanks in advance !!

Reply to
madboy_1

Some more info would be a start.

Do you mean a Lintel?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I guess the previous poster could have suggested which additional info is required, so I will try to assist: what material is the wall made of? how much wall is at either side of the area earmarked for the hole? how much wall is above the area? what material is being used for the ducting?

If the wall is concrete block and you have alot of wall to both sides of the hole and also a good amount of wall above then the job will be much easier. It is never a bad idea to put a lintle in, as they are easy and cheap to do, but so long as you are removing a hole from a wall as described above (brick is also ok) then it should be able to support itself while you do the job. I have taken slappings out of stone built walls to a width of nearly 2 metres without the wall collapsing in... but got a lintel in place as soon as afterwards as much as from a safety perspective as to maintain the integrity of the wall.

If brick or block then I would start at the top of the hole and chase out some blocks using a drill. Then just use a small hilti (cheap versions will also be fine) chisel remove the aditional bricks one by one. If opting for a lintle then you will obviously need to take a square slapping out, whilst if not doing this you should manage to remove a hole resembling a circle.

Calum Sabey NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Reply to
calums

If its square, you generally would chip out a space for a concrete lintel and install that, then knock bricks out underneath..

If its VERY big you might use props and bars through the wall to support it whilst you do it. But 500mm is only likely to loosen a couple of bricks, and if they fall out, replace after installing the lintel.

If it's round it may not need the lintel .. you would have more or less a 'brick arch' there.

In all cases you will have a little making good to do - some carefully shaped bits of brick and mortar - clean up the ones that come out with brick acid and reuse - to make it all look nice and tidy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher