Hole in Brickwork

plug has come loose in an item fixed to external brickwork ... hole was close to joint, and edge of brick broken off.

Any good thing to fill hole for re-screwing ? .... ... I have a 'stick' for a hot melt glue gun that is supposed to be for this task, they any good ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Rick Hughes coughed up some electrons that declared:

Maybe this if the breakout isn't too bad:

I suspect your breakout sounds too extreme for those.

Or drill out the hole and plug with a bit of hardwood dowell and screw to that. Or cut out clean to a decent depth, splat some cement slurry in as a primer, re-point that bit with sand/cement/bit-of-PVA and re-drill?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Polyurethane glue - the foaming stuff (e.g. Elch from Screwfix).

This will a) stick the broken off bit of brick back and b) fill hole permitting a screw to be driven in again. (Or even glue a new plastic plug in place.)

The questions are:

Can you manage to do this without leaving lots of polyurethane on the adjacent bare brick surfaces?

Can you hold the bit of brick very securely in place while the glue sets?

Will the resultant mended brick be strong enough for whatever load is placed on the screw? It had better be light duty.

Reply to
Rod

My favorite is epoxy mortar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

is this a tube of something ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

bucket. But epoxy mortar wont stick the broken brick back - ordinary epoxy resin will both stick the brick back and glue the fixing in place _without_ putting expansion forces on the brick. Its the way I'd go. And yes, you can use ordinary Araldite if you're just doing a couple of holes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If I fill hole with araldite, doesn't it set too hard to be able to screw into it ? or do you mean use Araldite to glue the plug back in ? Annoying thing is I had a few tubes of structural 2 part resin ... was resin fixing in stainless steel studs ... damn fitting wasn't loose then ! It's a wall light fitted to external face brick wall.

Reply to
Osprey

Epoxy mortar WILL stick the brick back.

It's 'araldite plus sand' essentially.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are a few options. a) put resin in the hole, press the screws in while still wet, and stick a stick under the item to hold it there while the glue dries. b) drill and screw into the resin c) glue a plug in, screw once set

so the sand will stop the brick parts meeting each other properly, leaving the bodge visible.

NT

Reply to
meow2222