hi-fi

Here's how to turn your phone into a hi-fi player

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Hifi? Hi-def maybe.

The soloist seems ready to start before the conductor, then thinks better of it.

Graham.

(Top-totty by the way Brian.)

Reply to
Graham.

Err, no. Sell the 'phone, add another £3K or so and you might have something approaching a hifi, if you buy second-hand.

Reply to
Huge

Sounds intriguing but that link leads only to a jpg image with no description.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I wonder what he bought from Rapid Electronics?

Reply to
Graham.

Presumably the glasses case acts as a reflector from the phone's speaker?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Graham.

Nothing new there. ;-) Same principle as putting your crystal set headphones in a bowl so that more than one person could listen at a time. We?ve all done that surely?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All things are relative, and in any case I'm much given to hyperbole.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Oh for goodness sake! Have you no sense of humour, or of the absurd?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's because it's an enigma.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Here you go you nosy bastard

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Oh, I think I see: the conceit is that the open glasses case amplifies the sound. Am I correct?

But isn't the loudspeaker in the phone on the other (right hand) end? And in the surface facing us? Shouldn't the phone be both turned around and inverted for the idea to work?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yes. It's very effective. As a test I invited the London Symphony Orchestra to make a recording in my front room. I then conducted an experiment in which I had them play the piece again behind the curtains and then I played the recording back, also behind the curtains. No-one present could tell the difference.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It isn't a fanciful notion! It's hard science.

No, it directs it. and makes it a bit less harsh.

No. I had a phone specially made for this project.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yup ... and built the crystal set to do it with of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I should of course have realised that. I admire your dedication.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Oh, put a sock in it.

Reply to