Help needed to resolve a discussion

I was being hepful the morning by hanging out the washing I lefy yhe bag of wooden pegs in the sun as there would be more washing along shortly.

I was told by my wife thatI should not leave the unused pegs in the sun as they would be dried out and damaged (they are normally stored in a warm utiliy room)

My experience of wood is that this might apply if they are left out for a number of years continuouslt.

Any (polite) comments as I may have to show this thread to he4r.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Ask her where the covers for the pegs on the line are.

Reply to
Richard

Once wood has been seasoned, and lost most of its water content, it is then fairly stable and not really affected by UV exposure (although the wood may lose some colour in full sunlight).

It will still swell a little in response to higher humidity levels. So you can get some wood movement (probably about 10% maximum - but usually much less), and almost all of that is across the grain.

So if you assume the pegs are made from seasoned rather than "green" timber, you would not expect much change from temperature or humidity.

Obviously left out long enough they may rot.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not a good idea to leave plastic pegs out, the UV light makes them brittle.

Reply to
TMH

Polite mode activated at your request.

It's perfectly normal for a bloke trying to help out and perform a household chore to be told by their other half that they are doing it wrong. And don't even attempt to correct them and say "incorrectly" not "wrong" unless you want to start an argument.

Is she perhaps hinting that she wants a tumble drier. You would of course not be able to fill it correctly or use the correct settings on it (in her view) but that is because you are a bloke.

Some men would just store the pegs where she wants you to store them even though she is incorrect.

To stop any future arguments I would just never bother hanging out the washing again.

Polite enough?

Reply to
ARW

When you?ve mastered not hanging out the washing, you should move on to not loading the dishwasher. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You would not believe how badly I use a vacuum cleaner:-)

Reply to
ARW

I'll raise you one Homer Simpson

ARW

I have been leaving the peg bag out all my life. The previous peg bag lasted 20-odd years. I transferred to the new bag last year a fair few wooden pegs that had been in the old one for 20-odd years. Make of that what you will - bearing in mind that a man's place is in the wrong.

Reply to
Robin

Define normal.

Reply to
ARW

Very true - all of mine shattered...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The rate of absorption/loss of water in wood is extremely slow, around a year per inch depth is needed when drying it. If it gets wetter it would expand marginally across the grain, this does not usually cause cracking though it's not impossible.

Wood left outside does rot, but again it's a very slow process. An untreated softwood shed lasts many years outdoors 24/7.

However, the question really hinges on the value of the pegs. If leaving all the pegs out all the time for 15 years you might reasonably expect to lose them all over that timescale. If bringing them in every time you might perhaps get double that life. How long does it take to bring them all & out in each time? I'll estimate 1.5 minutes. With 3 loads a week that's 4.5mins x 52 = 234mins/yr, apx 240 = 4 hours. For 15 years that's 60 hours. So it takes 60 hours of labour to save about £2 of pegs, that's 3.3pence per hour. You choose.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

this container in the bedroom where you put dirty clothes. I've no idea how it works, but the clothes get cleaned and put back into drawers.

It broke down a while ago, and as luck would have it, SWMBO was away. I was just about ready to get someone in to look at it when SWMBO returned and fixed it. It's still a mystery to me.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I'm very good with a vacuum cleaner.

I've even mastered holding the power drill in two hands with the cleaner tube under my elbow.

I'm proud to say that rubble never goes unvacuumed in this house for more than a couple of hours.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Why do women put dishes in the partswasher?

It just makes the crankshaft case smell of garlic and salmon.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

+1 Even with plastic pegs, I find that they last for about 2+ years outside 24/365 and are cheap enough to replace after that time.

These type seem to last

Note they have a "traditional" spring arrangement rather than a single coil spring type which get poor reviews.

Reply to
alan_m

In message <p2hCE.443598$ snipped-for-privacy@fx40.am, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

I was a good boy this morning, and hung the washing out on the line, using wooden pegs, plastic ones being devil spawn. Wife doesn't criticise in case I don't do it again, although does think I'm a bit OCD because I always hang the socks in pairs.

Reply to
Graeme

For this very good reason I never hang washing out when sunny, but only when it is very cloudy, or at night :-)

#Paul

Reply to
news19k

We have a tumle drier but she refuses to use it because vof the amount of lint it removes from the clothes

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Why wouldn't you hang socks in pairs?

It's very sensible - makes sure there isn't an odd sock left in the machine to go mouldy.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog