Heartfelt DIY

Just heard on the radio a DIYer who managed to fire a 2" nail from a nail gun into his heart. He couldn't get his jumper off cos it was nailed to his chest. A few mms more and it would have been curtains.

M.

Reply to
marcb

DIY man shoots himself in heart

Mr Kirk said he could feel the nail embedded in him A DIY enthusiast from Staffordshire has offered thanks to the surgeons who saved his life after he shot himself in the heart with a nail gun.

Nigel Kirk, 53, was working on flooring in his Burton-on-Trent home when the accident happened.

Doctors at Leicester's Glenfield Hospital said the two-inch nail was embedded in his heart like a nail in a car tyre. They said they could not just pull it out as it would have killed him. Mr Kirk was working in his bathroom when the incident took place.

Pain in chest

"I was moving from one position to another when I tripped on a towel and I heard the gun go off," he said. He then felt a pain in his chest. Mr Kirk went on: "I thought there is something wrong here and I had a pretty good idea where the nail had gone. "I could feel the nail embedded in me. There wasn't any blood."

A surgeon at the hospital said: "It was like a nail in a car tyre. "When you take a nail from the tyre, the air will rush out. It would have been the same with his blood."

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

you listerning to Paul Franks?

Reply to
larry

marcb wrote in news:42F38A3C.C24FCC11 @compuserve.com:

Nah you want rawlplugs and screws for curtains.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

it was Radio 5

m.

Reply to
marcb

That was fortunate. If it had been the curtains not his jumper he would have caught hell from the missus.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Was that Radio 5 V V V V V V Wait for it,,

LIVE.

Me mate fell into an upholstery machine. An hour later and he's fully recovered. (c) Two Ronnies.

Chris.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

This is why DIY should be banned. Professionals know how to do this thing properly.

Ian Stirling

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah.... there's a difference here.

There are two modes for many nail guns.

The default is that you have to push the gun down against the safety device and then squeeze the trigger in that order.

For some of the larger guns like the Senco and Porter Cable, you can (or at least Americans can) a part that will alter the logic. It changes things so that you can squeeze and hold the trigger and then fire the gun using the safety device. You have to sign a disclaimer to order the piece.

THe rationale for this is that if you are doing framing or roofing, you can achieve a faster rate of work by bouncing the gun along the work.

There is a second adjustment of reset time and effect on many of these, but it is possible for them to be bounced on the work and fire several nails in rapid succession. I've used one of these guns myself and you can easily fire 6 75mm nails into a block of wood in under two seconds if you allow the gun to bounce in a not completely controlled way or if the adjustment is not correct.

So for this type of injury to happen only requires the person to be holding the trigger and fall off the ladder onto the nose of the gun. Of course, if the user is a Darwinian, he could also tape the trigger to virtually guarantee an accident.

My largest gun is a Senco framing type. It will take smaller nails as well, so I've used it for roofing as well as framing and other applications. It's treated with a great deal of respect, though, and I have not fitted the triggering part to it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

heart, and no using woosy nails guns, a proper hammer would have been much better.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I think the phrase "DIYer" in the above statment would be best changed to "idiot", or possibly.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

And so much cheaper to DIY than pay a dominatrix

Owain

Reply to
Owain

How much do they charge then?

Reply to
Howard Neil

Yup I appreciate that... hence my comment. My el-cheapo Cosmo brad nailer is two mode like this - you can either place and fire or hold the trigger and bump fire.

I can get two nails in succession with mine - but that is about it. Not that I have tried that hard it has to be understood!

That was what I was thinking. Normally when falling I would have thought the natural reaction is to drop whatever you are holding in order to try and grab onto something. Hence the nailer ought to be rendered safe(ish) (assuming a couple of kilos of framing nailer landing on your bonce counts as safe.

Reply to
John Rumm

Can yer no spell?

Should be IDY-OT