Have solenoid valve close gently

I have a 12volt solenoid that opens and closes a water valve. It opens the valve instantaneously which is great. I have it coupled up to a hose and sprinkler activated by a 12v PIR and use it as a fox/cat deterrent.

The problem is it that the valve instantaneously which causes a massive shock wave back down the hose which stresses all the other water pipe connections and blows the hose off the connector.

Is there any simple (and cheap) way to get a soft closure of the valve? Can it be done with an electric gizmo or any other way?

Reply to
Bazza

Put the solenoid at the tap end rather than the nozzle end?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I spent some time many years ago trying to make a solenoid valve operate slowly using PWM. Complete failure - once you get past a certain point, wham.

I'd look at a small pressure vessel, eg eBay 324596667784, just the first one I came across.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Would an inline one way valve work? With the valve held to the hose with jubilee clips.

something similar to

but of the correct bore for the hose.

Reply to
alan_m

fit a surge arrester, e.g.

Andy Burns

Prolly easier to just fit a water hammer shock arrester in the pipe to soak up the percussive effect.

Reply to
John Rumm

Normally solenoids work that way, to try to make them close and open slowly you are in effect looking for a tap. I remember a tape deck whose solenoids were noisy, but try to put a ramp waveform in too make them slower and sometimes they got stuck or varied in their delays, which was hardly a good thing when editing. I don't think I've ever heard of a soft solenoid, as I say, you need some kind of rotating valve system. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is it 12v DC? If so, a large capacitor across it will slow it down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No, that will delay it, but it will still snap shut. I have the T-Shirt.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Yes, it's 12volt DC

Reply to
Bazza

Cats and foxes would hear the water filling the hose, and be long gone.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

What size did you have in mind? Last one I saw was 300mA current. 1s at say 6v drop and 300mA would be 50,000uF

I think a 3ft vertical pipe full of air nearby would be a better bed. Some solenoid valves are designed to snap shut, so any slowing down of solenoid operation might have minimal effect.

Reply to
Fredxx

And that is a bad outcome?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

How would that be classed as "not working"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It would not have the desired effect for long - quickly they would learn that the noise meant a spray of water soon, so move out the way and carry on. An instant spray, would be too late to avoid.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Wouldn't the hose stay full of water?

Reply to
Joe

Over the years I have tried various cat deterrents - none work.

Things that cat don't like to smell -they just mask it with cat shit.

PIR triggered water sprayer - they get used to it and just side step the jet.

Ultrasonic sounders - it frightens them the first time but then they just ignore it.

The only thing that works is cat food in antifreeze.

Reply to
alan_m

What you need is a canister of air to damp the hydraulic shock aka 'pressure vessel' when i'ts a part of central heating

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely it must be possible to make it impossible to sidestep or make the spray random so it can't be sidestepped.

But that sees Adam execute you, very unpleasantly.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Put a big capacitor across the solenoid?

Reply to
Rob Morley