Harvested water for flushing

No, becasue there might be times when we need the water for the garden. Our idea was seasonal manual switching.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, that's a great advantage in very hard water areas. Ours isn't bad but it would still be beneficial.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What difference does it make whether you use it in the bog or the garden? It is all mains water saved. If you run out, then you use mains for the garden as well. You won't use any more water and you may even use less, as the water levels will run lower and you can take greater advantage of any summer thunderstorms.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I have worked inside the Elan Valley Aquaduct and the walls are thick with peat. There are not many steel/iron pipes in the aquaduct. They are mainly cut & cover brick lined up to shoulder height and concrete tops. Steel Pipes where it crosses river valleys etc.

The water when it arrives at Frankley is black with peat. Amazing how clean they get it.

Reply to
Bookworm

Clostridium perfringens

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

? We don't have a bog garden ...

We'd rather use rainwater on the garden.

I don't understand that last sentence either but I'm not prepared to argue our case, I'm not trying to persuade anyone else about the benefit.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

OK, summer drought conditions after a month or two. Two scenarios:

  1. You turn off harvesting for the toilet. Your tank is now half full.
  2. You leave it on. Your tank is just about empty. You have just started to use mains water.

Now a thunderstorm breaks and dumps heavy rain down, enough to restore your tank.

  1. You've just gained half a tank of water. You've been using tonnes of mains water in your toilet all summer.
  2. You've just gained a full tank of water. You've used a small amount of water in the toilet and garden.

Basically, by using it for everything, you will conceivably reduce your water usage over a system that you turn off for some purposes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We've got one. Tastes great, just ignore the reports from the council about the cauliforms.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

TPTB wouldn't know if we drank rainwater. It's happened before, might well again. Some mains supplies really are awful, ours is pretty good.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Coliform" as in E. Coli, not cauliforms as in cauliflowers.

:o)

Reply to
Huge

|> |On 10 Sep, |> | Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> | |> |> If the washing water is over 72 deg C when used |> | |> |Most but not all |> | |> |> pathogenic bugs will be killed. |>

|> Which *pathogenic* bacteria will survive 72 deg C? |> -- |> Dave Fawthrop | |Clostridium perfringens

Only when spores.

You expect Clostridium perfringens spores in a *water tank*?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I think we can be certain that its high enough to kill most but not all bugs. A bug breeding swamp, not all bugs killed then I'm eating off it? No thanks, not for me. Have used rainwater in the past for this but would not choose it today :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why install a system that doesnt pay its way when you could install one that does? The answer is just inability to design.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

  1. Hosepipe ban - no (or at leats laborious) garden watering with mains. No restrictions on use for toilets.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

That depends on the machine type and setting

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not neccesarily - I was just being pedantic, although as we are talking rainwater presumably harvested from roofs, and exposed to windborne and bird deposited material, I guess you could imagine a mechanism.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie