H&S taken to a new level

Tony Hawks would disagree with you

The Other Mike

The National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers (napit) define a portable appliance as 'any electrical item which can or is intended, to be moved whilst connected to an electrical supply'."

So, given enough determination, I guess a 2-ton lathe could just about be defines as being 'portable'.

This reminds me of the day I was at a certain large cable TV headend site, and there were two rows of around ten 6-foot tall, nineteen inch racks stuffed with over 100 pieces of equipment, all firmly bolted in and running merrily, and putting out around 50 live TV channels and 20 FM radio stations. Then this guy turns up and announces that he is going to switch it all off, and test every piece of equipment in turn. ISTR that the man in charge simply said "No".

Reply to
Ian Jackson

This is my related story like that ...

Java Jive

I use four, in pairs, to put a couple of planks between when polishing the boat (it's out of the water, in a cradle, top-sides start at about

5' and go up to about 7', much easier to do stood on something than at full stretch).

Yes, they are unstable, one must be careful with powertools!

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

You trust and quote a web-site that is owned by a domain name regisering and web-hosting company, who uses it to generate advertising revenue? And you use it to show to others what is correct? You need your marbles counting.

"I saw it on the internet so it must be true."

I'm sorry, but that makes you a grade A idiot.

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

Happy?

Reply to
Richard

I wondered why the gf cannot stand on one:-)

Reply to
ARW

Is that a "falling off kick steps that have a label attatched to say the kick steps are safe" or just a "falling off kicksteps" question?

I guess you could fall and injure yourself by falling from either:-)?

Reply to
ARW

If someone had only invented the stair case today, it would never be allowed to be deployed.

Having said that, there are loads of accidents on stairs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

PAT was originally Portable Appliance Tester, ie it's the test equipment which is portable, not the appliance being tested, and that's because you may well not be able to move the appliance to a testing location. Indeed the inspection part of the process must be done with the appliance located where it's normally used, regardless if the appliance is portable or not, as you need to check the appliance is suitable for the use to which it's being put, and not just the use for which is was designed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Except that the phrase "Portable Appliance Tester" is ambiguous; it could be an appliance tester which is portable or a tester for portable appliances. You'll have to do better than a mere assertion.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They are very lightweight and the centre of gravity is very high up when they are upside-down, since most of it is air. And when you stand on edge they do flip very easily. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson