A friend asked me to look at his house wiring because green stuff was
oozing out of L & N at most of the 13A sockets in the house.
He wasn't kidding - it's like Lyles Golden Syrup, but bright green
instead of golden.
It is *not* corroding the copper wires at all, but the brass pins of 13A
plugs are blackened.
The wiring and house are about 25 years old, dry and in vg condition,
standard 7/029 T&E.
The effect was first noticed about 5 years ago.
Earth wires are clean, except where some goo has dripped on them.
Insulation is fine - over 100M on the circuit I tested.
Stripping back a bit of neutral insulation, the goo appears to be in the
I think I foudn it using google: Searching the web for "green goo" and
wiring found this on the web (2nd hit):
What is Green Slime or Goo? And do I need to re-wire circuits with Green
Slime coming out of the wires?
Also known as "Green Slime", this phenomenon is characterised by the
appearance of a sticky green exudate leaking out of PVC-insulated wiring at
locations such as switches, hot points and light fittings. The green goo
problem is predominantly associated with older (25+ years) TPS-type cables
operating in a warm environment. The exudate comprises a plasticiser that
has migrated out of the PVC insulation, coloured due to reaction with the
Due to its stickiness and unsightly colour, the goo has a high nuisance
value, however it poses no significant health hazard. It may be cleaned from
surfaces by wiping with a rag soaked in a petroleum- or alcohol-based
solvent (such as meths).
The long-term consequence of the exudate is that it represents a
de-plasticising of the insulation, meaning that as the process continues the
PVC will eventually become brittle, and crack.
Coutesy of http://www.olex.co.nz/faq_general.php
Not come across that, other than the normal copper corrosion, but
that's not gooey afaik. If it is the wires and coming from inside the
sleeving, then I'd rewire the affected bits asap - this doesn't sound
good at all.
I have experienced goo coming through the ceiling and out of vents
before, but that was down to honey leaking from a bees nest.
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk /
Hmmm, perhaps this thread should move to alt.fan.hitchcock? :-)
Seriously, I would have thought verdisgris too but, like Simon, I've
never seen it "gooey", only dry and crystalline. Also, doesn't it
require oxygen to form? In which case I wouldn't expect to find it
*inside* the insulation (although the OP didn't say how far he'd
stripped back the PVC).
It's decidedly Hitchcock.
I've spent enough time at sea to be fairly sure it isn't verdigris; the
copper is bright, smooth and definitely not corroded. Nearest salt
water is 30 miles away.
It's as though it is grease-packed waterproof cable, but packed with
I must ask Neville to ask his neighbours if they have any similar
Thanks guys - I'll relay both on.
Neville has decided to replace stained sockets, clean goo off wire ends,
and keep fingers crossed.
No sign of embrittlement yet, and as he says as long as he doesn't
disturb the wiring it doesn't matter if it does go brittle.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.