Grauniad: EdF extends service life of four nuke reactors

Doesn't say whether this extension has been approved by the Nuclear Inspections Inspectorate (or whatever they're called today), presumably so or they wouldn't have made the announcement.
The reactors are:
Heysham 1 (5 yrs) Heysham 2 (7 yrs) Hartlerpool (5 yrs) Torness (7 yrs)
<http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/16/edf-extends-life-of- four-nuclear-reactors-hinkley-point-decision>
Aren't the Heyshams the ones that had cracking in the boiler spine?
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 09:58:34 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

No new nuclear reactors will be built, that's why they are extending the life of these. Nobody knows how to decommission nuclear reactors. Hence nobody knows the true cost.
Extending the life of existing reactors once again boots the problem into the future.
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:57:56 +0000, Mike Tomlinson

Also all over the BBC. Heysham 1 started generating in 1983, as did Hartlepool, Heysham 2 in 1984. Torness in 1988. That means they will have given 40 - 50 years continuous service, with no major interruptions other than routine service. Good value.

Yes. This, from the wiki on Heysham nuclear power station:
"In 2013 a defect was found by a regular inspection in one of the eight pod boilers of unit 1. The reactor resumed operation at a lower output level with the defective pod boiler disabled, until June 2014 when more detailed inspections confirmed a crack in the boiler spine. As a precaution, unit 2 and the sister Hartlepool nuclear power station were also shut down for inspection.[4][5]
All units have since returned to full power after successful inspections on the three other reactors revealed no other defects. Heysham 1 unit 1 will operate on six out of the eight boilers until a detailed repair strategy has been developed."
I expect Harry will be along soon to tell us that they're all being kept in service because no-one knows what to do with the waste!
Hang on, he just has, as I type! Harry, you are so predictable!
--

Chris

On 16/02/16 10:37, Chris Hogg wrote:

I missed that. He's been plonked

On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 11:32:04 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes my predictions are coming true. The future is renewables with demand side management and a bit of gas. Common sense trumps everything in the end.

You mean 100% capacity back up inefficiently sitting there doing nothing if and when the wind blows. Otherwise massive blackouts bringing the country to its knees.

Yup build nukes.
--
bert

On 16/02/16 19:52, bert wrote:

+100
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
He still hasn't got back to me about this:
<q>

Capacity of "new" plant: 1608MW.
Capacity of plant lost: 12941MW.
You do the maths, Harry. If you can. </q>
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 12:22:13 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

shire

Drivel. You make no mention of renewables and energy saving maeasures.

Dumping it in Southern Australia
--
bert

That's ok, it's where Wodney lives.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

----- -
On 16/02/16 15:44, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm not sure the electronics are that much more radiation-proof than flesh and blood.
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx

They're using them in Fukushima to assist with the clean-up. A couple of special radiation-hardened models were built by Hitachi to go into the reactor core. The first one failed due to excessive radiation, and I think subsequent ones have worked for at least a while.
<http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/industrial-robots/heres- why-we-should-be-using-modular-robots-to-explore-fukushima>
https://www.rt.com/news/249461-tepco-releases-fukushima-video/
<http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fukushima-robot-dies-3-hours-after-entering- japans-radioactive-reactor-1496126>
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

Another link. This is recent (Jan 2016), and shows the Toshiba robot. There's a link to a video in the article.
<http://fukushimaupdate.com/japan-unveils-remote-control-robot-to- dismantle-fukushima-plant/>
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
On 16/02/16 09:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

They ALL have SOME cracking in the boiler spines, but not enough to actually be dangerous

With the level of scrutiny the industry gets, I doubt there is any cause for concern. If there were any real risk, they'd shut down just to cover their own arses.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

One would hope so, but perhaps a government who had badly cocked up their energy policies might be tempted to encourage an operator to stretch a point rather than let the lights go out...
Tim
escribió:

They'd have to get through this lot first:
http://www.onr.org.uk/index.htm
and I believe they're not just a toothless watchdog; they have international commitments too. No one is going to take the chance of a Eurobyl happening.
Who we really need to be watching, I think, is EdF. Profits way down, shareholder dividend slashed, and they're having trouble raising money to pay their share of Hinkley Pt C. They're about to go cap in hand to the French govt for more money.
The temptation to cut costs on their existing plant (such as, ooh, to take an example at random, artificially extending its lifetime by several years) must be overwhelming. And not just in the UK, either. Where else are they going to make savings?
Grauniad (yes, yes, I know):
<q> "EDF, which is 85% owned by the French government, announced the extensions as it reported a 68% plunge in profits last year and cut its annual dividend. The company, which has been hit by falling power prices, said net debt increased by E3.2bn (£2.5bn) to E37.4bn.
The fall in EDF’s annual net profit to E1.19bn was caused by a tripling of provisions, asset writedowns and other one-off items to E3.64bn. EDF surprised markets by cutting its dividend to E1.10 a share after paying E1.25 for the previous three years" </q>
Anyone who has seen the '70s disaster movie "Towering Inferno" will see where I'm going with this.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
On 16/02/2016 13:23, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Certainly, here in the UK, extending the operating life of nuclear plant requires extremely time consuming and expensive evaluation of physical state, the suitability (in light of up to date knowledge) and reliability of control and safety systems and even planning for obsolescence (ie: if any component is going to be supported by the manufacturer for long enough, or whether enough spares need to be purchased before it goes out of production, or if it needs to be replaced by something more modern.)
SteveW