Going round B&Q

Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits. Does no-one young do any DIY these days? (Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

Reply to
harry

Old gits are far more reliable than the youngsters these days. They start work on time, don't bugger off early or take sickies at any opportunity. Altogether a better quality of employee.

As you say in your post on sandstone flags, and ARW's comments on apprentices.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

IMLE the under forties are not great DIY'ers, i believe the latest acronym is DIFM (do it for me).

From what i can see, under 40's get their dad's and mom's to do it for them, as with much of the rest of their lives, e.g university funding, housing deposits and more (the bank of mum and dad and all that).

That said, as a rider, i am sure there are exceptions to that trend but i haven't personally observed much of it.

Balie McWheeble

Don't forget childcare, which is becoming the norm if the number of old gits pushing prams is anything to go by. Prams? I mean buggies, the BMWs of child transport

Reply to
stuart noble

Very true but i did say, e.g.... 'and more'

Ash Burton

Old people use their B&Q Pensioner Discount.

Young people use the internet.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Was it Wednesday? That's when over 60s get 10% off.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Had you considered that they might well be at work?

Reply to
David Lang

Average first time buyer age is now 37. Rental properties typically don't allow you to DIY, can kick you out with 2 months notice, or use your DIY as a reason to raise the rent.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

When my father in law was coming up to his 60th birthday... i was scratching my head hard for a present with a difference....

Then a brainwave came to me when I was in B&Q....

On my FIL's birthday, I gave him his present and a birthday card...

The message in the card was:

"A Diamond present for a Diamond Geezer on his Diamond birthday"

ANd the present was a wrapped up B&Q over 60's discount card!

Reply to
Stephen

A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable in their experience.

Reply to
Nick

No. They've been indoctrinated to think that everything can be done in software.

Of course not - haven't you noticed by all the extreme right wing views?

Typical of old farts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared to work.

Reply to
Capitol

And your usual knack of being unable to see the point.

BTW, why aren't you at work? Last we heard you worked 24/7. Or was that just another lie?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some of us worked hard enough to be able to retire and only work at DIY.

Reply to
Capitol

Where are these?

You must be one yourself, but from your left wing views you must be one of the old wet farts.

Reply to
Richard

Nobody owned up to not being an old git yet I see.

Reply to
harry

+1 for the last five years ...
Reply to
Jimbo /p

If you get some guy who's been laying bricks for 40 years he'll probably have picked up some knowledge about the industry.

Along with a bad back which will make laying bricks a bit hard...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris