Going into hospital

No, not me and not yet, but just planning for the worst, hoping it won't happen!
In days of yore, my mother always kept a little suitcase packed and available for instant use, containing basic necessities such as toiletries, night things, a change of underwear etc.
Is that still the done thing, or does the NHS supply all those when you get admitted? I know that big hospitals have shops on-site, but patients may not be able to access them for themselves.
--

Chris

Chris Hogg wrote:

IME from when mum went in last year, no. Dad and I had to take in "stuff" as and when she realised she needed it.
On 22/03/2020 08:32, Andy Burns wrote:

Bear in mind that visitors may very well not be permitted to coronavirus wards. Or to anyone in hospital at all if we are in lock down.
OTOH anyone ill enough to be admitted for coronavirus in the weeks and months to come is unlikely to care about a close shave etc
--
Robin
Chris Hogg laid this down on his screen :

In an emergency admittance, they provide a gown, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving gel, razor, soap and those slipper/socks, plus any meds you might need. All very basic, razor is near unusable, so best to go in with your own kit, or have someone bring your own stuff in.
message

if I was ill
shaving would be the last thing I'd be worrying about
tim
It depends on your assessment of risk. I want to remain out of the hospital for as long as possible since in my case as blind they do tend to treat you like a moron who cannot fend for themselves. Brian
--
----- --
Do they speak very loudly to you?

--
bert

On 22/03/2020 08:18, Chris Hogg wrote:

Yes. Also include a list of any current medications. They won't allow you to take your own in and giving them the list is the best way to get the medications you need ASAP.

IME the shops, which are normally run by Friends of X Hospital, are also expensive and have limited stock.
--
Colin Bignell

nightjar explained on 22/03/2020 :

I have had a planned and one emergency unplanned stay. They took my meds from me in the unplanned stay, but I was allowed to keep and self administer my own meds for the planned stay.
On 22/03/2020 10:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The hospitals I have been in all insisted that only medications dispensed on the ward were permitted, whether for a planned or for an unplanned stay. Better to assume you won't be allowed to use your own medications.
--
Colin Bignell

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 12:16:53 +0000, nightjar wrote:

The most difficult one for me was getting them to find an eye bath (which I use regularly to clean my eye socket). In the end we improvised (quite well) with one of those little paper things they put pills in.
On Sunday, 22 March 2020 12:16:55 UTC, nightjar wrote:

I am in regular contact with a large number of people who take a tiny number of medicines. Troubles are:
Different makes affect people differently, and hospitals seem unable to in any way help to get a tolerable make.
One medicine is incredibly expensive (for what it is) and, while some patients do get it prescribed, many parts of the NHS have effectively banned it. Hosptial; pharmacies usually refuse to supply.
One medicine must be taken away from all other medicines, food, drinks (other than water). And few hospitals have processes to ensure that is possible.
The upshot is that many either openly or covertly take their own medicines in with them, and take it when they need to. The attitudes vary hugely.
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 10:33:24 +0000, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Same went for me.
On Sunday, 22 March 2020 09:07:04 UTC, nightjar wrote:

or WHSmith (£7.99 for a £1 tube of toothpaste)
Owain
On 22/03/2020 09:07, nightjar wrote:

Or better still stop the medication you have been taking for years!
My mother had a bad fall down a flight of stairs and was in hospital for a couple of weeks. During that time she was taken off most of the medication she had been taking for years. After numerous tests while in hospital most of this medication hasn't been reinstated. In the intervening 6 months she says that she now feels a lot better than she has done for many years.

If fit enough to walk to the shop you are fit enough to be discharged.
ME the shops, which are normally run by Friends of X Hospital, are also

+1
Don't forget things such as reading glasses and mobile phone.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 22/03/2020 08:18, Chris Hogg wrote:

Yes, it is still the done thing. You often need clothes once you are up and about and certainly bedwear is good. You will need teeth cleaning and shaving again if you are not ICU
To avoid going mad take tablet laptop or phone AND CHARGER loaded up with books films and games many wards have wifi bit its often poor quality.

+1 Often overlooked
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

alan_m submitted this idea :

They sometimes have a stock of things like chargers, which patients have left behind. Always worth asking if they have one you can borrow.

Huh, obviously a Soviet spy! Able to run at a moment's notice if the mole inside the Circus gave her a quick bell. Uh-oh, there goes our phone, better get my shoes on.
--
"The EU Customs Union is a racket that defends producers in rich countries
against producers in poor countries."
On 22/03/2020 08:18, Chris Hogg wrote:

Best pack your own ventilator, I don't think the NHS have enough.