Global Warming and CO2 levels

(Highly relevant to anti 4x4 lobby !!!)
Interesting documentry on channel 4 tonight about global warming. It seems that there is very strong evidence that although CO2 levels historically have been high when the earth warms up, the level of CO2 LAGS the temperature rise so isn't the cause, but a symptom. However there is historically excellent evidence that earth temperature follows sun activity. The stronger the sun activity the stronger it's magnetic field, and the more cosmic rays are deflected away from earth. Apparently the cosmic rays entering a water laden atmosphere form clouds which reflect the sun, so when the cosmic rays are at a low, so is the cloud cover and up the temperature goes. After a considerable lag the ocean temperature rises a bit, and as CO2 is less soluble in warm water than cold water, more is released into the atmosphere. Apparently the volume of CO2 dissolved in the oceans and naturally being released is orders of magnitude greater than anything man is releasing. Small changes in sea temperature alter the balance.
AWEM
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:55:27 UTC, "Andrew Mawson"

I expect a long rebuttal from Mr Hansen soon. His masters won't have approved tonight.
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Very good program, and about bloody time.
--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Grunff wrote:

Not a mention of it on the BBC this morning, which is surprising. Well, no, it isn't surprising at all.
Stuart Noble wrote:

Indeed, we were talking about this during the program. Why is it that the BBC are incapable of producing original, cutting-edge documentaries? And how can I opt out of paying my license fee to this extremely biased behemoth?
--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental

Get rid of your TV set and you won't need a licence.
--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine wrote:

Even if I wanted to totally do away with watching TV (which I could quite easily), I still like watching DVDs and playing games.
--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental

You could use a monitor for watching DVDs and playing games.
HTH -
--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine wrote:

Not as big as my TV :-)
--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Grunff wrote:

If all you do is watch DVDs and play games then you don't need a license for the TV...
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:34:03 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Quite so; the licence is for equipment _capable_ of receiving TV broadcasts. It would be a wise precaution to remove the tuner module from your TV (and video if you still have one), this may or may not be possible.

This used to be the case, but changed when other methods of home viewing or uses for a TV arrived - like pre-recorded tape and now DVD, games etc. Before it made no sense to own a TV but claim never to watch it - now it does.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

In which case you don't need a licence even if using a TV to do so.
--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I thought you needed to disable the tuner, that simply disconnecting the RF feed wasn't enough - is that not the case?
--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Grunff wrote:

If you are not using it to receive then you are legally ok. TVL Gestapo will try to convince you otherwise of course and send you a tirade of hysterical threatening letters, but you can just ignore them.
--
Cheers,

John.

No - provided you never watch TV you can still own one. Might be difficult to prove if push came to shove, though.
--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

In which case you don't need a license.
(Cue the standard "Yes you do", "No you don't" argument, which I shall completely ignore.)
--
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this

If its a TV then by definition it is capable of receiving TV transmissions so should be licensed.
If it has the receiver disabled in some way it is not a TV so doesn't need a license.
Its pretty easy IMO.
As someone said gluing a panel over the aerial socket may be enough, removing the tuner should be.
dennis@home wrote:

Yup, here we go... again...

You would have thought, and yet you just managed to get it wrong ;-)

From http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/gethelp/faqs.jsp#link1
"Q What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?      A You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence."
No mention of disabling tuners or any other nonsense. You need a license if you use equipment to receive broadcasts - that is all. In this age all sorts of equipment is now capable of receiving TV, yet you would not routinely buy a license for your mobile phone, your PDA, or your computer.
--
Cheers,

John.

So what do you think he is going to check for when he visits you?
You don't (currently) need a license for IPTV, 3GTV as they are not broadcast TV like the stuff you do need a license for so are totally irrelevant.
You do need a license if you have a TVcard in you PC BTW unless you can prove you don't use it (then why do you have it?).