Getting rid of what appears to be some form of tyre slime

I've got this mess in the wheel well where the spare tyre goes. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bonxvh3b8olsmlm/IMG_1736.JPG?dl=0
Presumably it came from a spare which had some form of tyre slime in it which came off the rim or something. I don't use any form of tyre slime myself, but did get a couple of tyres and rims from the wreckers and it was presumably in one of those.
The thinner stuff washed off with tap water quite effectively, but the deeper pools had a skin on them and washing didn't work very well with those. Before I washed off the thin stuff, the deeper pools weren't sticky on top, but they are now.
The pools are still quite soft and it should be possible to gouge it off with a flat screwdriver, but I am reluctant to do that and gouge the paint.
Anyone know a good way of getting rid of the remaining pools ?
On 01/06/2018 08:53, Rod Speed wrote:

If you need to `gouge` use plastic or a piece of wood.
That is right plastic spatulas work well. I use one to clean a lawn mower. However maybe you need to test a few solvents on the stuff and see what happens. Depends what you can get. If the paint is car paint whitespirit should be safe I think.
Brian
--
----- -

Those indents arent that big and none of the plastic spatulas are small enough.
Should be able to trim down a stick tho.

I've never bothered with mine and would normally use a flat screwdriver for those since my lawnmowers have cast bodys.

Yeah, I was hoping someone could tell me what works with the very dark grey slime I have in the wheel well.
Most of the yank comments with google and youtube are for the green slime commonly used there.

I do have most of the common ones, turps, metho, acetone and there should be some paint thinner somewhere. But it would be more convenient if someone knows what works since I'd have to check with the more unusual stuff that it wont take the paint off.

Yes it is, that’s the standard car paint it came with.

I couldn’t remember about that, but easy to look up.

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 17:53:53 +1000, "Rod Speed"

Unlikely.

Good for you.

Dangerous and stupid thing to do. More stupid than you usually manage.

Stupid presumption.

Hot water, more soap, try harder?

Probably removed the dust.

Don't then.

Don't do that either.

Why do you need to, it's a spare wheel well? Lay a sheet of polythene over it and put the wheel in.
Rod Speed reply bot.

Have fun explaining where else it came from.
There is none of it on the cover that goes over the wheel well so it must have come from the spare.

Nope, just because the body of the car was a write off says nothing useful about the tires and rims and its trivial to check that they are fine.

Have fun explaining where else it came from.

The appropriate solvent makes more sense.
Its not the green branded slime tho.

There was no dust. There was a smooth skin that could be pressed and deformed when pressed.

I don't need to but it would be better to get rid of it.

Makes more sense to remove it if that's easy.
On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 20:03:03 +1000, "Rod Speed"

I don't need to.

BS.

Exactly, it says *nothing* about the tyres.

BS. There is *NO WAY* you could ever check the internal integrity of a second hand tyre from an unknown (to you) vehicle.

See above.

Quite ... but if water removed the thinner stuff ...

No, because it's not *any* form of 'slime'. It could however be the remains of a can of get-you-home 'Repair in a can' (vinyl) that has been punctured and empted into the wheel well.

So you vacuum the wheel well out regularly? More stupid than you usually manage.

Irrelevant to the fact that it could have been coved in dust.

Not better for protecting the inside of the well against rust it wouldn't.

Another big 'IF' and I guess you wouldn't be asking here if it was.
Rod Bot
On Friday, 1 June 2018 11:32:16 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

What exactly is the issue with used tyres? Inspection shows up rubber fault s, bulges on inflation show structural failures, and out-of-round I discove red by driving: drumming & very little road grip.
I had a vehicle years ago where buying scrapyard tyres was the only practic al option, new ones were 20x the price, literally, and inadequate steering geometry control meant they didn't last well. Since I've heard warnings oft repeated about doing so, but no real explanation as to what the problem is .
NT
On Friday, 1 June 2018 14:27:14 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

lts, bulges on inflation show structural failures, and out-of-round I disco vered by driving: drumming & very little road grip.

ical option, new ones were 20x the price, literally, and inadequate steerin g geometry control meant they didn't last well. Since I've heard warnings o ft repeated about doing so, but no real explanation as to what the problem is.

Damage to tyres can be easily detected, The main problem is changing the tyre on to your rim. You will need to take it to somewhere with a decant air flow to bed the tyr e on to the rim.
On 01/06/2018 11:32, T i m wrote:

And equally you know nothing about the tyres on any second-hand car that you buy - or do you immediately replace all the tyres no matter how much tread is on them?
SteveW
On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 22:29:56 +0100, Steve Walker

Not entirely true. You know that they currently work and aren't showing any signs of issue in use. You may know the PO (family?) and so have a good idea of their likely treatment. Not the same for a vehicle where the last time the wheels went round is when they were winched up the back of the recovery vehicle after a crash, being stolen and joy ridden or some accidental off-road experience.

Yes, it's not unknown for me to fit all new tyres to a vehicle new to us (irrespective of the tread etc) because:
1) They are rarely a complete set of the same brand / model.
(We have got second hand cars with 4 different makes / models of tyre fitted or one car that tyre of a different size! Another (a van) had two brand new tyres on the front that may have had sufficient load rating for the front but not if they got moved to the back when they could have been overloaded. So we changed the set).
2) They are rarely the tyres I would fit given the choice.
3) They have often been 'getting old', even if they appeared ok from the outside (especially on trailers and motorbikes) and so I will often change them 'anyway'. I noticed (during a long trip pre check) the tyres on the back of the Meriva were the originals (same date code as the reg) and I wanted to change the fronts anyway. So, I changed the set (so they were all the same model).
4) As we generally keep any vehicles till their end, we might as well have something known / good from the getgo (or once we have determined it's a keeper etc).
Tyres are your only contact with the road and in the event of a catastrophic failure can end up costing *way* more than a set of tyres.
So, I have *never* bought a second hand tyre, *especially* from a breakers and yes, often replace what look like fairly good tyres on any second hand vehicle we get, *because* I value lives (convenience / licence) more than I want to gamble with a complete unknown or something with a question mark on it (age or suitability etc).
YMMV etc. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
p.s. I bought a new to me motorbike and whilst the tyres were (looked) fine, they were quite old so I mentioned to the local motorcycle shop that I needed some new ones and because I'd previously helped them out with IT stuff (for nothing), they gave me the new tyres at cost. I didn't get round to fitting them and now they are probably 7 years old (still unfitted) so I'll probably throw them away. The last thing I need is to fit tyres that may have hardened because they haven't been used or may have some other issue (*especially* on a motorbike).
I recently gave away a 14' dinghy for a neighbour because I wanted the trailer it sat on. I only needed to take it about 5 miles but because the tyres were old, had been left under inflated and were showing slight signs of cracking on the sidewalls, I replaced them both (with brand new complete wheels).
1) I didn't want to be stuck with a failed tyre anywhere on the trip. 2) I didn't want to risk 6 points on my licence. 3) I hoped to be using the trailer after getting rid of the boat.

Fraid so.

Trivial to check if the rim and tyre from the wrecker does.

Ditto.

Few buyers of used cars do.

Or has just been discarded because the cost of the repair it needs is more than its value like when someone has been stupid enough to let it run out of oil and the engine is fucked.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof of what a terminal fuckwit you have always been.

Only a terminal fuckwit like you will only drive a car which has that.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it. Mine is like that right now, because the tyre place I use has changed the brand they supply. Still works fine anyway.

So you are actually stupid enough to buy a whole new set of tyres.
Figures.

We arent discussing those.

Yes, you are that terminal a fuckwit.

Yes, you are that terminal a fuckwit.

Yes, you are that terminal a fuckwit.

Not with a well designed car. With mine it is in fact quite hard to even work out that one of the tyres is flat, it works fine anyway.

Yes, you are that terminal a fuckwit.

Yes, you are that terminal a fuckwit.

Yes, you are that terminal a fuckwit.
And it has nothing to do with your license, you pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist.
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 20:17:08 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<snip troll BS>
Glad I'm still living in your head rent free, you stupid troll!
Right, I'm bored playing with you again (doesn't take long these days) so back in the box for you ...
Cheers, T i m
Yes, that's all your shit ever is.
<reams of your trollshit flushed where it belongs>
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 13:14:21 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K

Glad you are bothered enough to think so. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 05:13:32 +1000, "Rod Speed"

Even more stupid with your claim that it did.

<snip> >>>and rims and its trivial to check that they are fine.

Bwhahahaha ... you stupid troll ... you think just visually checking a tyre inside guarantees there are no internal issues! Trust your stupid troll brain to limit the term 'internally' to the inside of the tyre!!
Maybe you could explain to the tyre remoulders how much money and time they could save when they are testing tyres for re-use (you stupid troll).
<snip>

There is no 'slime' in there because it's not slime. In just the same way that brown sauce isn't tomato ketchup.

So, this stuff 'just appeared' and you think it came out of a second hand tyre you bought from a wreckers? You have had a tyre, laying on it's side deflate and just fall off the rim, to allow a liquid out?
<snip>

Aww bless ... the stupid troll thinks a spare wheel cover is airtight and so no dust can ever get in there ...

Whoosh! Stupid stupid troll. It's not that the dust stopped anything working, it's that washing the dust off (that was previously stuck to the sticky surface, making it less sticky) was now washed off, making it sticky again! A troll AND a left brainer!

<snip> >> Not better for protecting the inside of the well against rust it

I never said there was (you STUPID TROLL).

Oxymoron (moron).

See above. Ok thicko ... do you think removing something that could provide a rust protective layer would make it more or less prone to rust?

<snip sad story unread>

That may fist depend on you describing it properly and as yet you have not.
Rod Bot.
wrote

Have fun explaining where it came from when its only in the wheel well and no where else.

The stuff even you couldn't bullshit your way out of.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Just as true of tyre. Even a terminal fuckwit such as yourself doesn't fit a completely new set of tyres every time you drive a car.

The stuff even you couldn't bullshit your way out of.

Have fun explaining what it is, and where that came from.

Nope, it obviously came from one of the tyres and rims I got from the wreckers.

I know that it can't have come from anywhere else.

I know that one of the spares was flat when I needed to use it.
Fortunately a mate of mine happened to show up at the service station when I discovered it was flat and he came over to see if I needed a hand and took it back to his place to inflate it on his compressor to get it seated on the rim again when the service station tyre pressure system wouldn't do that.

The stuff even you couldn't bullshit your way out of.

Nope, I noticed that there isnt any dust on the top of it, fuckwit.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Your sig is sposed to be last, with a line with just -- on it in front of it, fuckwit child.

There was no dust stuck to it.

There was no sticky surface there. It was smooth and with no dust at all there, a flexible skin.

It wasn't sticky at all.
And even a terminal fuckwit troll should be able to see no dust on those areas in the photo, fuckwit.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed drunken pig ignorant troll fantasys.

The stuff even you couldn't bullshit your way out of.

Very said you did, fuckwit troll.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Completely useless, as always with your tollshit.

Don't need one the paint clearly does that fine.

Irrelevant to rust when clearly the paint does that fine.

Cant even manage a viable troll. If you didn't read it, you have no idea if its sad or not, you pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist.

Did that.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag, trollshit.
On Saturday, 2 June 2018 11:21:19 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

It was so nice when he was away for a couple of weeks. If no-one responded he'd eventually go elsewhere.
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 04:42:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
<snip> >It was so nice when he was away for a couple of weeks.
It was indeed ... raised the whole tone of the group not having his bile splashed across every topic.

I doubt it ... they don't even care if they aren't being read ... like a pirate radio stuck on transmit. ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On Saturday, 2 June 2018 13:30:39 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

the idiocy bothers me more than the bile.
NT