German Foreign Minister a threat to peace

On 05/02/14 09:59, Nightjar wrote:

Actually a lot don't.
In fact the party is full of people whose attitude seems to be 'well the last thing I ever wanted was to be in politics, but we have to get some common sense into it and since no one else can be trusted, we had better do it ourselves'.
Which about sums up my involvement too.
Yes there is a lot of money being a Euro MP, but there is bugger all being a local councillor.
MPs get a bit more, yes, but its nothing like what a successful person can earn outside of parliament unless of course he is fiddling his expenses and taking lobbying bribes to promote private interests. Or using insider knowledge to capitalise on investments, and or sitting on the boards of companies who 'value his advice' (or lobbying ability).

--
Ineptocracy

There is absolutely nobody who has realised that it is a lot easier to get accepted as a Parliamentary candidate in a small party than in a large one?

It is the bit about there being any common sense in UKIP's non-policies that I find hard to swallow.

What did you say earlier about power?
Colin Bignell
drifting OT..
interesting to look at populus' Opinion polls.
http://www.populuslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Online-VI-03-02-2014.pdf
Among those who definitely said they will vote UKIP, the highests percentage is from the social class DE generally defined as 'working class'...
Another interesting thing is that in Wales and Scotland with their own 'national' parties there is little UKIP support, but in England apart from the south west coverage is good.
One other interesting question is 'which party do you most closely identify with'?
The one other thing that stands out from that is that less people identify with the labour party than say they will vote for it. Whereas the figures for the other parties hold pretty firm.
--
Ineptocracy

Although, historically, mid-term opinion polls are not very good indicators of the next election results.

A group that is traditionally expected mostly to vote Labour in urban areas, and, for some reason, Conservative in rural areas. I suspect it is also the mainstay of the BNP.

They have already tapped the separatist votes.

Labour lost its clear identity when re-branded as New Labour, so that is hardly surprising.
Colin Bignell

You wouldn't be referring to a well known pair of UKIP candidates would you?

--
bert

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/campaign/2009/06/councillors-allowances-exposed.html

and quite a few of them then move on to "safe seats". It's training.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

The track record of *some* MPs. Why are you also tarring them all with the same brush? Why this implication that they all have only venal motives?
--
Tim

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:55:13 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

MPs are very good at tarring *us* with the same brush ....
On 05/02/2014 10:55, Tim Streater wrote:

I'm with Arnaud Amalric on that.
Colin Bignell

OK, now I see where you're coming from, but still disagree, for a different reason; one man's "strong moral code" is another man's "totalitarian dictatorship".

Hear, hear.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 36th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
On 05/02/2014 12:27, Huge wrote:

To those who espouse the views I suggest, personal freedom would be one of their moral aims. It is the extremes, right, left or green, who most feel the need to impose their views on others.
Colin Bignell
On 06/02/14 09:32, Nightjar wrote:

So we noticed dear.
--
Ineptocracy

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:44:43 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It was amusing, watching Charlie Brooker last week, to see the French *populations* reaction to Mnsr. Hollandes philandering, as opposed to the UK *media* reaction.
To judge by the way our media were slavering over it, you'd think the French people were busy sawing the planks to build a guillotine in the shade of the Eiffel Tower. Whereas the reality was a kind of collective Gallic shrug. No one seemed to give a toss.
Be nice to imagine one day the same in the UK ... because it effectively neuters the nastier side of tabloidism.

Hollande's activities involve lies and deceit. I want to know if politicans are that untrustworthy. I 'spect most of them are.
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:50:06 +0000, harryagain wrote:

Is there an honest, undeceitful politician ? ISTM the past 30 years have demonstrated there isn't.

Yes there are; I know a number of them. The mistake you make is to tar them all with the same brush.
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores

once upon a time, people made their money and then became politicians. Nowadays they become politicians to make money (cf Tony Blair)
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Some of them do, yes. So your point is *what*, precisely?
--
Tim

that politicians are in to to make money these days. Running the country comes in second place.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18