Genoa Bridge Collapse

Just looked on Google Street View and noticed the bridge had the lanes separated by those concrete lane crach barriers. I bet they were not factored into the loadings when it was built.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Good job this section didn't also collapse

Reply to
Andy Burns

Terrible tragedy.

This shows before and after sliding pictures.

after/

Reply to
Pamela

They'll never get anybody to live in them flats now.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I expect this is going to looked at hard (from the BBC):

?The motorway operator said work to shore up the bridge's foundation was being carried out at the time.?

Dodgy foundation and flash flood perhaps?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I looked at the photos on the various media sites and there seems to be remarkably little rebar in all that concrete and what I could see looked rather puny.

Can't wait to hear the outcome of the investigation. Mafia concrete and control of the workers ??.

Reply to
Andrew

Not just in Italy.

Reply to
Martin

Indeed not. The whole EU is simply a very sophisticated system of corruption.

A protection racket, essentially.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The most recent of many Italian bridge failures.

Reply to
harry