General election

It has hardly been declared, already I am bored with it, the "pundits" telling us, over and over, what is going to happen. In fact I was bored with it an hour after I heard. Surely I am not alone?
No, its all a bit depressing, but there are funny people in the commons who spout a load of male gnitalia at the best of times. Were we not supposed to be having fewer MPs soon? Brian
--
----- -
On 20/04/17 08:22, Broadback wrote:

It will give whoever put May into power a virtual dictator power.
Especially as local short-lists will be supplined by central government.
Its a totalitarian takeover by the tories, UKIP smashed by tory moles, liberal democrats smashed bu Cleggless' ambition.. Labour smashed by hard left lunacy, and you will elect only candidates chosen by The Party.
I would be surprised now if Brexit will ever be achieved.
Democracy in Britain is probably dead.
..I'd spend it on drink.

Wanting a degree of social cohesion and fairness along the lines of Sweden, for instance, isn't "hard left". I find it most amusing that everyone including the BBC is telling me I can't vote for Corbyn because he is Not Appropriate and people of importance (Keith Vaz do they mean?) won't accept him becoming Prime Minister. It is perhaps a mistake to keep telling the British people too forcefully that they "can't" do something - they might furn round and do it!
--

Roger Hayter

On 20/04/2017 09:59, Roger Hayter wrote:

Labour can win if they say they will remain.
dennis@home wrote:

    Labour have already agreed to leave!
On 20/04/2017 16:51, Capitol wrote:

So they won't win then.. unless the several million who voted stay decide not to vote for a party that wants to leave. Do you really think this election is going to be as expected after the referendum fiasco.
I will vote for someone that will reverse brexit as will many young voters that feel they were done in the referendum. The older voters will vote on the lines they always have. Anything could happen as a result.
dennis@home wrote:

    With your approach, it doesn't seem worth voting as you wish to be governed by an unelected quango. Do you have sheep in your ancestry?
On 20/04/2017 17:27, Capitol wrote:

> From what I've read and heard, most Labour voters ARE like sheep. I hear it all of the time "I vote labour because all my family have always voted for Labour".

Most Labour voters seem to think they can get something for nothing. The government will help everybody out. Er.... the money comes from their taxes.
--
The reason women don't play football is because 11 of them would never wear the same outfit in public.

They are very often tribal, class-ridden [1], and hate-filled. Although I know quite a number who are not.
[1] and they will ostracise people who vote otherwise and call them "traitors to your class".
--
"It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of

Here we have Labour and SNP competing for the chavs.
--
It's been announced that the police are going to be allowed to use water cannons on rioters.
They're putting some Persil washing powder in to stop the coloureds from running.
On 20/04/2017 17:32, Bod wrote:

My father in law was worse.. he wouldn't vote because he was working class and would have to vote labour if he did and he didn't like them.
On 20/04/2017 19:15, dennis@home wrote:

> Lol.

I think there's been a lot of truth in that, but a lot of people who had always voted Labour for decades have abandoned the party in last couple of years for two different reasons, Brexit, and the party's recent move towards the far left (popular with Labour members, but less so with the bulk of voters they need to attract).
Both Conservative and Labour voters were split on Brexit - it wasn't a hard left/right issue. Now the Conservatives have come out heavily for Brexit, they've pulled in lots of Labour Brexiters, and I think they'll pull in all 5M UKIP voters (UKIP will be dead in 8 weeks). Conservatives will lose some Remainers to Lib/Dems, but that will be small compared with their gains from Labour and UKIP.
I think the most significant thing historically will be the number of traditional left wing voters who've moved well to the right just to ensure Brexit goes through. They'll probably move back a few years after Brexit, but for now, they regard Brexit as more important than left/right politics.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I think the "orpington man" might re-appear - in other areas than Orpington.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Is "orpington man" a remainer or a brexiter? Who do you think "orpington man" will vote for this time?

--
Andrew Gabriel
On 23/04/17 22:40, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I could ask one when they get on the train this morning :)
All I know about "Orpington Man" is they are poor bastards who never get a seat on the train because we all got on half an hour earlier :-o
On 23/04/17 21:47, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Labour hasn't been a party of the working class - the white working class for two decades or more. Not since Thatcher really. Its the party of the nouveau rich middle class, you know 'me grandad were a milkman but I am a sound engineer at the beeb, and own me own house' sort.
Working class are way right of Labour.

My grandad was a proper London wheelwright, then a bus conductor and I work for a university, so in theory I am an ideal candidate.
Except my other grandad was a barrister's clerk and a freemason. I guess that side won over :)