Gas meter location - any laws/regulation on this??

Transco are in the process of renewing the gas supply to the block of flats I live in. At present, my gas meter is located in a cupboard within the flat, supplied by a central pipe that travels through the building. Transco have proposed to run a new pipe on the outside of my

3 storey block, with a pipe coming into my flat through the main bedroom with a meter here also. THe pipe will then run the length of the bedroom to join the existing pipe in the cupboard to supply the appliances. I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas. Are there any regulations of safety guidance regarding the location of gas meters?

I would appreciate any advice/guidance on this matter.

Many thanks!!

Reply to
v.yare

Tell Transco your obejecting to this strongly and do not wish to have it like this. Its your flat that is where you live and they have to abide by what you want, not what they want as an easy route to install their piping.

Reply to
ben

It is within regs to put the meter there. Gas meters should not smell at all. Get it seen to. Tell them you do not want the meter in the bedroom and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them you will not allow them into the flat.

I used to design these things, and the last place you ever put one was in a bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no other location. I insisted on a spring door on the cupboard and a seal around the door.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my

Then you have a leak. Make sure they replace the meter with a new one which does not leak!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Hmmm! I wonder why he's not sitting on the roof if its that strong a smell?

a couple of hours and he should of been a shade of blue.

Reply to
ben

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they want to get stroppy...

Reply to
John Rumm

Who from?

If the Landord does not want Gas meter situated in the bedroom then they have no right of entry.

Reply to
ben

Apart from the obvious issue, my gas meter squeaks. I got it replaced - the new one squeaks a bit too. It's not really a problem in the kitchen, but would drive me nuts in the bedroom.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

My parents use to have one which sounded like someone snoring...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Fraid not,,he can quite reasonably ask for an explanation as to the choice of the new meter position but fact is that it is no longer permissable to have any great length of live gas main/service within a premise and the live service should ideally be outside the premise(outside meterbox) or terminate as soon as possible within the premise. To ensure that this happens,service entry tees (the bit the main on/off valve fits on) are manufactured to specific shortest possible sizes.

This is a common situation,,for example,flat where the service riser went up internally in the block or an ordinary house where the service emerged somehwere centrally in the house from under the wooden floor or concrete raft. In all such situations,the new service entry would be sited to the periphery of the property,i.e external wall. The only exceptions apply to tall multistory blocks which still have internal risers but there are special regs/provisions for this relating to support,fireproofing ,ventilation and regular inspection Remove antispam and add 670 after bra to email

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

Trust me,no one is getting stroppy,, Trandco is just proposing the renew the main in the interests of customer safety. Current regs prevent renewal to the existing position and therefore it needs to be compliant with the latest regs,i.e outside wall entry,no probs,just speak to people,no need for strops/creating difficulties that arent there! Remove antispam and add 670 after bra to email

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

But then the landlord may find that his tenant has no gas supply when the mains are renewed! Remove antispam and add 670 after bra to email

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

Yes indeed but then maybe the householder will report it first! Remove antispam and add 670 after bra to email

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

their bedroom, colud be a wind up from the OP, but never the less..No way would that happen and should'nt happen. The only time I know of a gas meter being installed in a bedroom when its a bedsit.

Reply to
ben

tarquinlinbin wrote: ...

and --

thanks :D

Reply to
Alex

I don't expect that in reality you will have any problem - even if they need to run a pipe through the bedroom I am sure they can locate the meter somewhere else.

However statutory power of entry means just that. It is a right bestowed on them by government that means they may effect entry to any premises regardless of if they have been given explicit permission (or even had it denied for that matter), and usually without need for any additional form of warrant.

Gas and Electricity providers traditionally have this right so that they can legally correct potentially dangerous faults in private property without needing to get permission first.

There are a few other bodies that have this power. Customs and Excise is one (not sure how that translates to the new HM Customs and Revenue.... how is that for a scary thought, the tax man breaking down your door!) There are others, but I can't remember them at the mo.

Reply to
John Rumm

I know all about the rights Gas/Manweb have on gaining entry to a premises. What I'm trying to explain is they do not have the right to enter the premises if the occupant/landord has stipulated that he does not want the Meter installed in the bedroom, however he has informed them that he has no objection to have it installed elsewhere in the property, either in the livingroom/hallway or backitchen, they then have to re-route the main pipe underground and near to where the meter will be situated.

Sounds to me as they are avoiding ground work and looking to save themselves some hard work.

Reply to
ben

I dont see that it really matters as long as it is not a visual intrusion. If it can be accomodated in a cupboard and its not in the way then it sounds fine to me. Remove antispam and add 670 after bra to email

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

Yes, of course you did DINKY

10 15mm Tees and a thermocouple
Reply to
Matt

Just to update everyone.. the work has gone ahead - pipes have been fitted, with the meter being moved on monday. It seems that this was the last resort due to various different parties' involvement/interests. They are due to box in the meter early next week - is there any particular method for this that would be preferable? An earlier post mentioned a spring door and seal arrangement.

Reply to
v.yare