Gas boiler - annual service really needed?

Hi all

I've just booked a local firm of gas fitters to do a Landlord's Gas Certificate, and asked them to give the boiler an annual service at the same time. When they were unable/unwilling to give a fixed price for the servicing component, the guy said, 'well why not just have the Landlord's done, and if it needs servicing we can do it and tell you how much; but chances are it won't need it.'

Does that sound OK? ie, if the Corgi pronounces it safe and OK as it is, then a service isn't actually needed?

I have a healthy respect for gas appliances and have always been led to believe that an annual service was a must; and all the more so in a rented-out property. Or is servicing in this context more about ensuring it doesn't break down rather than whether it's safe?

The firm is one I trust and have used before; the boiler is an ordinary wall-hung, non-condensing, non-combi, vented job, about 3 years old (can't remember the model).

Thanks for any advice David

Reply to
Lobster

In the days of open flued boilers they really did need stripping down and cleaning out annually, and such models still do require such maintenance.

However balanced flue (and fanned flue boilers even more so) are unlikely to need to be stripped down every year. It is much harder for debris to get into the boiler to begin with (although wasp and bees like them quite a lot). In line with this the manufacturer's instructions for modern boilers tend to suggest things on the lines of check and if necessary dismantle and clean. In fact some may state sampling the flue gases with an analyser and then deciding on the basis of that whether to do more work.

The firm of fitters are quite right to suggest that 'servicing' may not be needed. However as a Landlord your duties are to have the appliance serviced as well as certified. The local firm will decide on the basis of what they see as to what servicing is needed together with the manufacturers instructions.

Incidentally gas fire are often over looked and they also require maintenance, it is not uncommon to find that the boiler is OK and the gas fire has been neglected for many years.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have a few rental properties and only ever pay for the landlord's certificate. Anything else is begging to get ripped off. You are very lucky your man is so honest, and I think he's trying to tell you something.

An ordinary non-combi boiler is basically a big gas kettle. It has no serviceable parts. The only thing that can go wrong with it is the gas control valve (the big gubbins on the front). If it does then you just throw it away and fit a new one. Oh yes, and the thermocouple to the pilot light needs replacing every few years, 4 quid and 5 mins to fit. A gas fitter would charge the earth for that small task.

Years ago I remember watching a Corgi-registered gasman "servicing" my mom's boiler. All he did was removed the burners for a quick clean and swept the rest out with a dustpan & brush, checking the flue wasn't blocked. Ever since then I've done my own servicing.

riccip

Reply to
riccip

The landlord's duty and legal requirement is: "to maintain all appliances and flues, which you have provided for your tenants to use and have them checked for safety at least once every 12 months by a CORGI registered installer."

There is no requirement to annually service the appliance, only to maintain it in a safe condition. The 12 monthly safety check ensures that is carried out.

riccip

Reply to
riccip

riccip Woofed :

I'm clueless on gas thingy's but have always had our boiler + multi point water heater "serviced" each year - less than 1 hours work - no parts. The year before last we were charged £45. Last year it went up to £80 (no warning). Guess what I said to the nice corgi registered man this year when he phoned to make an appointment ?

Reply to
Troy

All most plumbers will do by way of a boiler service is hoover out the dead insects and tap the gas pipe with a screwdriver to dislodge any debris. It's money for old rope and a complete waste of time. That's not just my opinion. My mate who's a Corgi fitter told me not to bother. In fact the more often the covers are removed the quicker the gaskets fail and like most reliable appliances they are best left alone until something actually needs doing. No one has serviced my old Potterton in 18 years and it runs as well now as it did when I bought the house. I put a new thermocouple in every 6 years or so which costs less than £10 from the local shed and that's it. What I've saved in 'servicing' costs would pay for a new boiler three times over.

Reply to
Dave Baker

SNIP

Its worth a reminder here:- For a landlords certificate ALL the appliances should be checked including cookers, hobs, ovens, water heaters, tumble driers etc etc etc

Reply to
John

Standby IMM with his usual invective, but after I installed by BE RS ancient cast iron heat exchanger boiler some 25 years ago, I took it apart after a year and found it to be spotless. So decided not to touch it again until needed. 12 years later, it needed a clean. Of course I had a look every now and again for water leaks etc, and to see the burners were still producing blue flames. But if it had failed and needed replacing, was still quids in against a service contract.

From what I hear, BG etc no longer clean a boiler at yearly intervals - they just do a visual inspection and check the CO output.

Of course for rented property the paperwork is all important.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

... INCLUDING those owned by the tenant (the landlord's cert has a space to indicate ownership of the appliances)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you are a landlord the "competent" provision for DIY gas work does not apply - a CORGI fitter MUST be used.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not another one!!! These people are dangerous. To all normal people D O N O T T A K E A N Y N O T I C E O F T H E M

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You're the one talking rubbish.

A mate of mine left BG because he was no longer ALLOWED to clean boilers out properly as before, just use a sniffer device.

£80 - £120 for doing virtually nothing is an obvious deterrent. You tell me who's REALLY interested in safety and not purely money making.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Another one for the killfile. Click.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Like yeah. I'd never dream of changing a thermocouple myself in case they chuck me in jail.

riccip

Reply to
riccip

Another reminder for landlords: When preparing a property for let remove all gas appliances (other than the boiler) and if necessary replace with electric.

riccip

Reply to
riccip

I would say get rid of gas fires. A hob is no problem.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Oh my God!! Another one.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Please kill your boiler, as it is a death trap. 18 years, and not touched? Shisssssh!!!!

Reply to
Doctor Evil

But even a gas hob is liable for annual certification and consequential expense. An electric hob isn't.

riccip

Reply to
riccip

As a part of the landlord certificate, which you have for the CH anyway.

What expense?

Reply to
Doctor Evil