Gas barbecue recommendations

I know this has been discussed before (here, or in uk.gardening?) but not for a while.

We have a brick 'ordinary' barbecue which we will quite likely continue to use for big and/or planned barbecues but it would be nice to have a way to barbecue quicky when one decides to do it on the spur of the moment.

So any recommendations on what to get, what to avoid, what to look for?

Reply to
usenet

Hi Chris

I'd go for a big gas jobby - once you have experienced the luxury of gas you won't want to go back to charcoal. Some good deals about now in B&Q and Makro.

I'd avoid anything with Lava Rocks. The do nothing to improve taste and just harbour grease. I wouldn't bother with a cowl type lid either, close it and the temperature inside reaches Chernobyl proportions!

It's the smoke from the vaporised fat that gives BBQ food its taste, not what caused it to vaporise.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Thee's also one in Lidle or Aldi for £25 I think. If I didn't have two already I'd go for it. They'd be fine for ocasional use.

No they don't, any grease burns off or drains away.

No it doesn't, I've baked lemon meringue pies in ours.

The fat vapourises from lava rocks!

How can you say it gets very hot and then suggest that fat doesn't vapourise?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We went for the largest one we could afford and bought a Sunshine Legend

4000 from a camping shop in Norwich for about £350. Although this was much more expensive than those in B&Q the build quality (and weight) is much higher and I think this will be reflected in it's longevity. I would echo other comments about not worrying about the barrel lids as these can add considerably to the price for not much gain. I tend to mostly use the griddle plate but it is nice to have the grill section when needed. I didn't bother with any side heaters as if nI want to heat pots and saucepans I'll do that in the kitchen and keep them warm on the grill. I would make sure that you're not limited to butane as propane is much better for steaks in the middle of winter.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

I fancy one of these

[news]

Mary wrote>

Come and tell that to the greasy lava rocks in my BBQ!

Oh yes it does! Close the lid on ours for more than 5 mins and it cremates anything!

BBQ lemon meringue - strange!

As it does from stainless steel.

I didn't! I said that it doesn't matter what causes it to vaporise.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, it doesn't happen with either of ours so you can't recommend anyone not to have lavarock because of your experience.

You don't understand how to use the controls then.

er - you do have controls ?

Not at all. You don't believe me?I can send you a picture. We have a little caravan (10') on a daughter's farm in Wales. I cooksplendid mealsfor four or more of us on a combination of two butane gas hobs and a butane gas barbecue. In the barbecue I bake bread, cakes, puddings, roasts ... everything I can think of.

And your point is?

Cut and paste: "The do nothing to improve taste and just harbour grease."

Now, how can they harbour grease if the temperature is high enough to vapourise it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Are you feeding the 5,000?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary;

Errm. Because when you turn the gas off it goes cold again!

Do you want a greasy lava rock in the post as proof?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

you are supposed to leave the bbq on for about 5 mins or so at full whack with the lid down after use to burn all the greese off.... otherwise it does build up and it does burn off next time but if you leave it for while a load of nasties start to grow on the rocks.

5 mins of gas costs a few pennies but it is worth it

That's what I thought too.

If you use charcoal it continues to burn both grease and charcoal (thus costing what you paid for the charcoal) after you stop cooking.

Yes, I think you've probably put your finger on Dave's problem.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message on Fri, 22 Apr 2005, David Lang wrote

I'd agree with this and suggest you look at the Outdoor Chef range and, in particular, something like Ascona or Ambri model but I believe that some of their models are now made in China and have heard that the quality isn't quite so good. They have a not very good web site at:

Reply to
Colin Brook

Use a hot air paint stripper to get the solid one going very quickly! Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady