From VMware to VirtualBox

I have an application running under windows XP, itself running under VMware. I would like to have it running under a VirtualBox hosted XP. Normally I would have just installed it from the original CD but I recently moved and I cannot find the box (yes it is an older app).

Anyone know of any fiendish techniques that would enable moving the installed components from one version of XP to the other.

Just a shot in the dark. :)

Reply to
pinnerite

thought you could export the XP VM image from VM Ware and import it into Virtual box?

Reply to
SH

Presumably your emulated disk is a VMWare VMDK format.

That is directly supported by VirtualBox. Job done.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's what I was going to say too! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

I cannot tell how many times I tried that but it never worked.

Reply to
pinnerite

This is not exactly a success recipe.

But it does hint that whatever the recipe is, it's complicated.

A hint would be, that virtual machines consist of a configuration file (XML) and the container. The contents of that configuration file are *very* important, and something in there could be a factor in keeping the machine Activated. You need to read that file and understand it, as part of the move.

You have to remove the VMWare Additions, before transporting the machine to VirtualBox and adding the VirtualBox Additions. Look in Add/Remove Programs for the proprietary entries for that while WinXP is still running in the VMWare setup.

The container has a GUID.

The VM has a NIC with a MAC address.

Those last two items play a part in activation, but I don't know any details. I've never had an activated OS in a VM, all my VMs were on grace period.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I did it for a few VMs, successfully. I can't remember how. I vaguely remember running migration programs, but Bob Eager's comment about VBox supporting VMDK disks sounds familiar.

Reply to
Pancho

Sounds pretty comprehensive. Thanl you.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

If it was a Win10 VM it would be easier, it tends to reload drivers for changed virtual hardware better, but XP was a bit primitive at doing that sort of thing, if you've loaded VMware tools and paravirtualised drivers inside the VM, I'd remove them first and go back to bog standard

640x480 video, slow old PIIX IDE drivers etc before moving, then try to match same hardware in VBox, be prepared to use F8 to repair drivers etc.
Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm glad you understood it, perhaps you could do a step by step explanation when you do it.

I have a windows vm to move to virtualbox too

Reply to
AJH