For real ... ?

know anything about these, or the technology employed ? I dunno, but it feels like one of those "If it seems too good to be true ... " things. Or is it just another company jumping on the eco-bollox bandwagon ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I did look at it to some extent but I probably don't use enough to cover the extra cost. Also there's that voltage-reducing BS on the same site, so credibility is very low.

Reply to
PeterC

Yeah you don't get ought for nout as my granny used to say. A bit like care aircon.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

> Anyone know anything about these, or the technology employed ? I dunno,

General priciples discussed a while back here

David WE Roberts

are looking at this the wrong way around. It's an electricity generator first and foremost. The Carnot Cycle means that rather more than half the energy used will be waste heat that is just dumped at the power station or used to heat the nearest greenhouses. With this mini-CHP, that waste heat will be used to heat your home. That's the theory, anyway.

Reply to
GB

Right, that's why coal fired boilers are so much more popular than gas for home heating.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

And what's the efficiency of a modern condensing boiler Harry?

How many mobile phones do you expect to be able to charge up?

Of course it does harry, of course it does

???

Reply to
geoff

we were talking about electricity generation, not home ehating. A coal fired municipal generator whose waste heat is available to heat a block of council flats for example. Done a lot in Denmark.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was also done at Battersea Power station in London.

Reply to
charles

They tried a district heating scheme in Peterborough in the 70's (CHP without the C and P) didn't last too long ...

Andy Burns

Sorry, when you said "heat your home off what's left" I thought you were talking about heating a home....

(Yes, centralised CHP has advantages, but it's a different market from this device. Maybe I should have spelt that out instead of assuming it was obvious.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

How does the bioler generate electricity ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

>>> Anyone know anything about these, or the technology employed ? I dunno, >> but

Well, that's what I was asking, and if you follow the whole thread, there's been several references to a URL where it is all explained. I can't be fagged to go and find it for you, but it won't take you long to look. It's actually a bit backwards thinking of it as a boiler that makes electricity as a waste heat-recycling byproduct of it's CH / DHW function. Rather, it's a gas-powered electricity generator, that produces enough waste and recoverable heat from *that* process, to allow it to also heat your house. Theoretically, that is. How practical it would actually be for the many different designs of house, varying weather conditions around the country, and lots of other modifying factors, is a bit of an unknown, at this point. Much like solar PVPs, a lot of the 'savings' that would supposedly be reaped from the installation of such a device, rely on the subsidised FIT model, and I'm not sure just how sustainable that is going to be in both the current economic, as well as political, climates. Add to this that recent events in the MM global warming world would seem to indicate that that little bubble may be close to bursting, and scales might start falling from eyes, and the long-term non-viability of all the green taxing and subsidising at the tax payers expense, might start to take on a political life of its own ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It gets worse...

Consider the proposition that last centuries warming had little or nothing to do with human activity or CO2 and in fact was mere statistical fluctuations in a completely normal interglacial that is likely to end..soon. Plunging us into several degrees colder temperatures.

Not only is every penny then spent on renewable energy wasted, it has furthermore reduced our ability to run the country effectively in the colder and wetter times ahead.

We have essentially ruined the nation to solve a non-existent problem, with a technology that didn't work to solve it, anyway...

It doesn't get worse than that. Well apart from harry, who profits by this disaster.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just run that past me again. Are there unlimited oil reserves then? What's wrong with say tidal electricity schemes?

Reply to
GB

There may well be. Ther are very large uranium/thorium/deuterium reserves.

same as is wrong with solar PV and wind. They are expensive ways to achieve sod all carbon fuel savings.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And given up, and replaced with a dedicated boiler. Makes more sense in northern and eastern Europe, where you need decent heating for half the year, and a lot more people are living in flats.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, if you grow the stuff.. its not very practical as you need too much land.

Say silt.

Reply to
dennis

None of these renewables can supply more than 5% or so of our requirements. Unless you put 3 turbines of every sq mile of the UK, including cities. Or dedicate the whole of Wales to biofuel crops. Or damn up some of the larger the Welsh valleys to act as pumped storage.

Good luck with any of these.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Which mountains and valleys did you have in mind, harry boy, for hydro power?

Reply to
Tim Streater