Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

I have a couple of Ikea, wall- and ceiling-mounted, fluorescent lights, each of which has a curved, thin plywood cover with a lot of slots in it, lined by a sheet of diffusing white plastic. The lights are good except that after a few years the plastic linings are deteriorating and falling apart.

Can anyone recommend a type or source of flexible plastic suitable for replacing them?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thats Ikea for you..

Not that wont suffer the same fate.

Replace with something that is fit for purpose.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what I'm interested in doing --- replacing the deteriorated plastic. The lights are otherwise in very good condition.

Reply to
Adam Funk

See if you have a proper film crew in the area and ask nicely of the sparks if you can have a bit 216 white diffusion (Lee Lighting filter number).

Or after a quick google:

for 122cm x 53cm + P&P total =A313.50.

Or see if there is a dealer with better prices from

Filters come in rolls 7.62m x 1.52m or 7.62 x=

1.22m, full sheet 53cm x 1.22m and half sheet 53cm x 61cm.

I'm not going to say this won't suffer the same fate as the ikea stuff b= ut it is proper film lighting diffusion so can take the heat etc. I've had =

some bits kicking about here for a year or three and they show no signs = of ageing but they have only been in a room not close to a light heat sourc= e.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We've had some of those lights "Strimma" by any chance?

Could you glue white fabric on the inside of the shade? you might even be able to get fabric intended for lampshades from a craft shop.

Google for _craft lampshade fabric_

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I've had several light fittings (2D) and lampshades go brown and/or opaque recently. All were plastic. One noticebly was still as good as new. It was made from etched (or ground) glass. I've now replaced all fittings/shades with glass ones. UV light (from CFL/fluorescents) degrades plastic and anything coloured badly.

Reply to
<me9

Interesting: thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I can't remember the name or find them on the Ikea website now.

Good idea, thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I think I forgot to mention that the plywood panels are curved, so I need flexible "linings"; I'd be very surprised to come across a piece of glass that happened to have the right size and curvature.

Reply to
Adam Funk

If you cant or dont want to get the gels Dave suggested, fair standins are nylon tape and the very thin nylon lining used in ultracheap dresses.

I presume a new fitting would be cheaper than curved acid etched glass.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'll look into that too; thanks.