First telephone scam of the year!

I actually receive the text message. I can also send them.

Reply to
bert

It's recognised the first time you send a text. Not many handsets around which can do this. I have a gigaset.

Reply to
bert

In article <ru24qn$hta$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@harrym1byt.plus.com.invalid> writes

But many of these calls originate from overseas so that no may not be present. Also many originate from VOIP sources. Spoofing was originally not permitted, but it was changed as many organisation didn't want individual DDI numbers going out.

Reply to
bert

It also takes advantage of the fact that their favoured demographic (senior citizens) are more likely to have landlines.

Reply to
John Rumm

And for mobiles i) too many under 18s with no bank details to scam ii) too many younger people with a clue.

Reply to
alan_m

It depends how the blocking works. Truecall equipped phones or separate boxes seem popular in the UK and provide access to unexpected new callers after they have listened to an outgoing message.

There are additional options available if an answerphone is connected

Reply to
alan_m

And a bank account worth raiding?

Not sure I'd like to have to rely on my mobile for everything I currently do online, though. But I suppose if it's all you have.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes - my doctor's surgery uses a different number(s) for outgoing calls so not on my list, but the receptionist seemed quite happy to work round the call blocker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Personally I find a mobile phone screen too small (especially with a virtual keyboard displayed) for many online banking activities. The problem I have these days is also the large number of different passwords I have for my different internet accounts. On my laptop I have a secure password protected and encrypted file[1] that contains this information and with a larger screen and discrete keyboard I easily can display/cut/paste the information from the file into a web interface. Not so easy to achieve on a mobile.

[1] Free version... Cryptainer LE - 448 bit Free Encryption Software
alan_m

I don't want something that will automatically insert user/passwords into an interface if the phone is stolen.

Reply to
alan_m

+10001

I would have to change all my passwords PDQ if my phone got stolen. I assume it will be and have a procedure in place. No financial transactions are EVER done on it bar the mandatory google store shit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thread diversion alert..

If you had a total PC breakdown, would this data be recoverable?

I currently rely on *on paper* coding like name of the cat etc. which is vulnerable to clued up burglars.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's why phones are never stolen.

Reply to
alan_m

I wouldn?t because there is no way the thief can use my fingerprint to get access.

More fool you. But then you are too stupid to work out how to answer an incoming call.

Reply to
Fred

From the backup.

I do keep an old laptop as a emergency computer and if I had a total PC breakdown a new laptop would be ordered in short order.

The encrypted data looks like a file/folder on my hard disk - which can be copied as a normal file to a backup. I keep regular backups and a USB flash stich with the file lives in my fire safe.

I would copy the file from the backup and install the software to my new computer. The file then can then be read after supplying the long pass phrase (password).

This is exactly what I did when transferring the information to my current laptop when I purchased it.

No two of my passwords are the same and all contain random characters and/or allowable symbols. My user names tend to be (slightly) different as well - usernames in public forums are completely different to those I use for banking/investments etc.

Reply to
alan_m

Password managers tend to hold their data in an well encrypted database, and you have to first enter a compex password to open it. Only then can it auto enter user/passwords, (or you copy and paste).

Reply to
Davidm

One option is to use the browser sync capabilities to share your desktop's remembered passwords with your mobile, or use a password manager that has mobile and desktop versions.

The manager on the mobile device can be have multiple layer protection including biometric protection, and you have remote erase capabilities to remove a stolen device from your account.

Reply to
John Rumm