Acceptable

From the specs in the Service Manual: During printing: 480W During standby: 320W During PowerSave: 32W

It does take a minute or two to warm up fully and run its startup tests when coming out of PowerSave. But 'no use' is a bit strong - it really is a fine bit of kit. The biggest argument against it for a 'domestic' printer is its size and weight - at 57kg (or 75kg with the duplexer etc fitted) it's a beast of a printer. As I said, it doesn't really have the Wife Acceptance Factor!

The duty cycle is stated to be 35,000 pages per month, so a heavy (!) duty picce of office kit. The speed is specced at 18ppm mono, 4ppm colour. A few years ago when I used to author and print 200+ page docs with reasonably complex content my rule of thumb was 3ppm for colour printing.

But you're right, they're not for the average home user. But they are a good example of what kind of heavy duty, quality printers can be picked up for modest prices - if you know what you're looking for and can live with obsolete kit.

As I write this there are two on eBay UK: one at £150, the other at

99p but needing an imaging drum which should cost about £20. There's even a drum kit currently listed at 99p... [Aside: If anyone wants a copy of the Service Manual for the 4500 / 4500 Color LaserJet, email me. I guess that's another advantage of this kind of kit - it has 'proper' documentation, and spare parts are available]

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Or a LJ4000, maintenance kit every 100,000 pages, couple of pickup rollers in between and dirt cheap (35 quid for the last one I bought)

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Rod writes

For which region and which range of laptops?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

UK and it was a business one - can't remember the model - probably now around two years old.

Reply to
Rod