Faulty mid position valve??

Hi All,

Wondering if someone more knowledgable than myself can give me thei opinion? I have a Honeywell Sundial Y plan heating installation which utilizes

3 port midposition valve. I currently have a problem where my rads ar still giving of heat when the CH is set to "off". It seems to me from little investigation that this is being caused by convection through th 3 pos valve. I have removed the valve cover and observed the moto functioning correctly! Can these valves fail machnically whilst the motor still works? Woul the simplest coarse of action be to replace the entire valve assembly?

Any comments and suggestions will be gratefully received

-- matthewh

Reply to
matthewh

Forgot about this:

Before I removed the cover and checked the valve I cycled the manua lever a couple of times. I'm keeping an eye on things but I think the valve might of been seize and using the lever has free'd it up. Wish I'd check the valve before doing this and then I know for sure

-- matthewh

Reply to
matthewh

Well I've been watching the system to see what its doing and the proble

is still there. The rads closest to the hot water tank are all hot eve though the CH is off. If I manually move the valve to the A positio (HW only) it cycles back to the A+B position even though the CH is of (the pump is running as it should e.g. it is off whilst the CH is of and the HW is up to temp).

Can a 3 position valve fail in this way

-- matthewh

Reply to
matthewh

I've never known an actuator drive itself to the A+B position when there's no CH demand. Sounds more likely that there's an external wiring fault. Has it ever worked properly?

I have occasional known actuators to get 'confused'. The way to reset it is to turn off *all* power to the heating system for a minute or so. You need to do this at the FCU which feeds the system - *not* at the programmer 'cos that would still still leave one connection live.

With all power off, the spring return should bring the valve firmly to the HW-only position. If it doesn't, either the mechanical part of the valve is stuck or the spring return isn't working properly.

With the actuator removed from the valve, you should be able to rotate the spindle of the valve with finger and thumb - or at any rate with *light* pressure with a pair of pliers.

You can put the actuator through its paces while it's off the valve by selecting all possible combinations of CH and HW in turn, and making sure that the actuator moves to the correct position in each case. [Put the spindle in the A+B position while you do this].

Reply to
Set Square