Falling through a flat roof

Are domestic flat roofs, in principle, OK to walk around on or should I use boards to spread the load?

What about if I want to use a ladder on the flat roof - should I use a board to place the ladder feet on?

Thanks

Reply to
Scion

Test the roof first by gently pressing your foot down on to the surface as = you go. If there is any movement of the surface then keep off or use a boar= d across the area. Don=92t be tempted to press any blisters, raised felt hu= mps to flatten them down. If you want to use a ladder on a flat roof put so= me doubled up carpet or board down first, beware that if a board is used th= e ladder may slide, get someone to hold the ladder.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

The other issue is next time it rains the last guy who walked on the roof punctured it of course.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do you know how the roof is constructed? You should be OK, subject to the advice already given. On the other hand, there are people like me who do a temporary repair to an irredeemable polycarbonate roof by covering it with roofing felt. Any burlgar attempting to get to my bedroom dormer window that way would be in for a surprise.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster spake thus:

No, other than it is tarred and has chippings covering it. But the underlying structure, no idea.

:-)

Reply to
Scion

Kipper at sea spake thus:

Good suggestions, thanks.

Reply to
Scion

Yes, but beware of rotten boards below, and don't let your feet press sharp stones into the felt. And don't forget that a fall of only 8ft over the edge can kill.

Yes but it might slide so tie it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , Scion writes

My uncle died (broke his neck) after falling through a flat roof he was working on

A "domestic flat roof" is not a very precise term

Reply to
geoff