Fake TV burglar deterrent

Why not just leave the real TV on?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Real TV uses more electricity Real TV will wear out quicker (eg CCFL backlight)

Lidl were selling them for £7.99

Reply to
Graham.

£££££

Boom

etc

Reply to
Tim Watts

I see. But a real TV amuses the cat/dog/parrot more.

-- =

"Dear IRS: I would like to cancel my subscription. Please remove my na= me from your mailing list." -- Joe Cocker

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:19:55 -0000, Tim Watts wro= te:

More like =A3.

Maybe when they had valves.

Like?

-- =

The first Harley Davidson motorcycle built in 1903 used a tomato can for= a carburetor.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Although it was generally the wax coated capacitors that dripped flaming wax onto the carpet. My uncles early colour TV went up that way in the late 60's. He built his own monochrome set which still worked!

The EHT valve on early colour TVs emitted Xrays and had lead shielding to protect the engineers and lead glass to protect the viewer.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I though ALL CRTs had lead shielding, and it was x-rays from the electro= n beam.

-- =

My daughter asked me for a pet spider for her birthday, so I went to our= local pet shop and they were =A370! Blow this, I thought, I can get one= cheaper off the web.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

No way. My TV (9 years old LCD) significantly heats the room when on - not measured it, but it's in the region of a few hundred watts.

It's rare, but IMO the less stuff you leave on that has semiconductors direct on mains, the better...

And it wears out your TV..

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 21:31:37 -0000, Tim Watts wro= te:

Maybe if it's a huge TV. A 20" CRT would use less than that.

Why worry about the unlikely?

-- =

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and t= o the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and h= is children smart -- H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Surely you want to deter real TV burglars?

Reply to
polygonum

And it needs a licence.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 23:25:24 -0000, Bob Eager wrote:=

Only if someone is watching it.

-- =

WinError: Unable to exit Windows. Try the door.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I never saw lead shielding, only a large mild steel enclosure.

I imagine the glass envelopes are lead glass as you say.

I have a GY501 and a PD510 in a box somewhere in the garage.

Reply to
Graham.

Ah, would that it were, would that it were.

Reply to
Graham.

We all worry at our own personal worry level. We reach that level by adjusting the amount we worry about the most worrying things we can think of. If we have some very worrying things (terminal illness of partner, threat of imprisonment, etc) we worry about them and not about more routine worries. If we just have the routine worries (waiting for a routine cancer test result, hoping the teenager will not fall off his motorbike, etc) we worry about them. If we have no real worries we amplify minor worries until they fit the personal worry level.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I though ALL CRTs had lead shielding, and it was x-rays from the electron beam.

I thought it was the electron beam striking the shadow mask that emitted Xrays.

Reply to
harryagain

I remember Mullard making two versions of certain valves, one with X-ray shielding (lead glass?) and one without.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Looks like my memory wasn't quite accurate. I think the two rectifiers were the DY86 and DY87, the difference being a chemical treatment on the bulb to reduce flashover.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder."

"If you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or an online TV service, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device."

"If you don't watch TV at all, or you only ever watch on demand or catch-up TV, you can tell us you don't need a TV Licence. Please check the frequently asked questions below and then complete our No Licence Needed Declaration."

Where does any of that mention possession of receiving apparatus? It only mentions "watching" or "recording" on any platform and then only if "watching" or "recording" simultaneously with broadcast on any platform.

I guess they had to drop the possession of receiving apparatus as it became too difficult to define what receiving apparatus actually is.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A better link is

The actual law says: "A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part."

You can try claiming that a TV which is switched on and displaying a broadcast program is not "being used" unless someone is watching it, but I really, really doubt it would work.

Reply to
Martin Bonner