Eternal September

wrote:

Were you asked for any details that would identify you as a non-dom?
Do they have to charge you UK VAT instead of German?
As a matter of interest, how do you pay cost-effectively? It looks as though you cannot pay by Euro prepayment card but only by bank transfer or PayPal. What are the costs involved?

NIN costs 10 Euro pa
what your bank charges you to pay that you'll have to ask your bank
tim

Not if I decide to use PayPal I won't, which is why I am asking Andy.
Scott wrote:

no

nothing in my account on their server, or in their emails mentions VAT

paypal

to me, none.

You used to be able to pay using any card using some germany specific operation but that went broke or something.
I just pay with paypal and it all works fine.
On 26/09/2017 19:35, Scott wrote:

Via Paypal last week I paid just £8.89 (10 Euro at 1.12486).
--
aa

I think they got round it by paying Paypal to do all the VAT calculations.
--

Roger Hayter

That was just a temporary glitch.
On 26/09/2017 19:12, Scott wrote:

I queried the tax domicile point with them last week and they replied thus:
"At News.Individual.NET, we don't collect information about a user's residential address, tax domicile, social security number and so on.
We need an e-mail address to get in touch and e.g. send a password to, and we like to have a name so we know how to address or refer to people.
And we'd like to keep it that way.
The new European VAT regulations mean a lot more bureaucracy for providers of digital services. We hope for a workable solution in the medium term, and until then, try to keep providing our service as it stands, as far as possible. If we should be forced to make more tangible changes in the future, we would notify all affected users individually via e-mail.
Regards, Individual.NET Administration"
--
aa

I use Eternal September *and* News.Individual.NET (which is the University of Berlin's paid, 10 Euros/year server). I collect the news using leafnode which acts as a local news server. Leafnode runs at intervals in the background to collect the news. Hence, while I have had a few errors mailed to me by leafnode due to the problems at Eternal September, my newsreader never notices any issues at all because it just connects to the local (same machine) leafnode server.
So, as a recommendation, try News.Individual.NET, I've had no errors using that for months, if not years.
--
Chris Green
·

It was flakey for a while yesterday. Not checked today yet. Brian
--
----- -

as usual when digital things are improved they get worse .......