Eternal September

Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??
TIA
Bob
On 21/09/2017 19:55, Bob Minchin wrote:

Still flaky for me - seems to go OK for a few posts then gives a connection error. Using aioe for now.
--
Cheers, Rob

RJH wrote:

Thanks, More than flaky here - refusing multiple attempts to connect. using Virgin for this enquiry.
Bob
On 21/09/2017 19:55, Bob Minchin wrote:

Been flaky for me ever since they swamped servers a week or so ago.
I thought it was getting better but it isn't working again today.

The only time I noticed a problem was the beginning of last week, when I could not connect for a whole morning. After that, it settled, and I did not experience any of the problems others mentioned.
Today, however, no problem connecting, but I notice from replies that I am not receiving all articles. I did not, for example, see the initial question about white hardboard for a boat, but have seen the replies.
--
Graeme

On 21/09/2017 21:01, Graeme wrote:

If you use ES I commend the ES support group for news on the server. Ray Banana posted there re timeout issues at 19:37
--
Robin
On 21/09/2017 21:46, Robin wrote:

The problem is that I can't see this support group from my alternate newsserver so when eternal-september is down I can't see the support messages explaining why it is down.
writes

there don't seem to be support messages explaining why it is down
just random users complaining that it is (which may, or may not, get answered by support staff with an explanation)
tim
On 22/09/2017 08:39, tim... wrote: <snip>

The "support staff" is Ray Banana. AIUI he eats, sleeps, works, defecates etc. And possibly doesn't devote every minute they leave him to ES ;)
As others have said, if you don't like ES there are other servers which can be used instead or in parallel.
And I hope at least some of those who do use ES know that there is an easy way to contribute via PayPal at https://www.eternal-september.org/serverstatus.php?language=en
--
Robin

well obviously he does

I didn't say that I didn't like it
I am saying that pointing people to the support group as a panacea is bogus, cos all it (mostly) is, is a bunch of users taking to each other
tim

My free alternative is AIOE. They do carry <uk.d-i-y> and has never been down at the same time as ES here.
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

writes

Go to their website.
--
bert

On 21/09/2017 19:55, Bob Minchin wrote:

I could not even post that question, and at one point could not view other posts.
--
Michael Chare

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 19:55:21 +0100, Bob Minchin

Is there a more reliable supplier that members would recommend? I have no objection to paying a reasonable subscription in return for reliable service.
On 22/09/2017 07:34, Scott wrote:

https://news.individual.net/
--
aa

I tend to alternate between albersani and Eternal September. One has to remember with the latter that the server was only replaced a couple of weeks ago and they are still working on some bits of the installation. Brian
--
----- -
On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:47:37 +0100, aa wrote:

+1
aa wrote:

I paid $50.00 3 0r 4 years ago for astraweb for1000 Gb and at the rate I am using it I will be dead for 50 years before it runs out :) Look under astraweb membership plans not that astraweb does not have problems

According to https://news.individual.net/register/step1.php
"Due to changes in European tax law coming into force on 01.01.2015, we can only offer our service to users which have their tax domicile in Germany."
Scott wrote:

I first subscribed in 2016.