Energy supplier wants to fit Smart Meters - good?

Ovo energy supplier wants to fit Smart Meters but just like to ask if there are any snags/watchit warning etc etc before agreeing (seems I have a choice - which is nice). At the 'mo we jsut have the famous spinning disc for elec and a gas meter.

I see they use a 'phone-type WAN to send the data to supplier - good if secure I suppose.

Reply to
mike

Well, that's the big if.

The other thing is - why do you want one?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

People have probably got fed-up trotting out their pros and cons, nothing has changed since the last time it was asked ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

NO NO NO!!!!!

but just like to ask if

Reply to
F Murtz

Thanks - well i asked 'cos i don't live on ng's. But as I say, thanks anyway for the link - and glad I took a look. To save anyone else asking rsn - here's a few reasons from that link to NOT go for it.

*** I am getting one next week - complete with wi-fi connection to my router. Does anyone have such, and any comments on it? Dave Liquorice ...

They want to use your WiFi and presumably net connection? Is this for the meter operators useage upload and control of the meter?

F. that for a game of soldiers. If their system needs a 'net connection they can jolly well provide their own or pay me £40/month to piggy back on mine...

Even if it's only so you can see a pretty web page of useage WiFi APs aren't free and your firewall/router will need a config change to deny the the meter net access. You don't know how to do this (do you...) so you are going to have "call someone out": £75 call out charge (inc first hour and 50 miles travel) then £25/hour in 15 minute increments rounded up. Shouldn't take 'em more than a couple of hours.

Only 1/4 in jest...

Is this a fully smart meter ie one that lets OVO read it when they want to or simply one to inform you of your personal consumption visa your home network?

I used to be with OVO but got out when they wanted to charge me £60 to change to one of their newer tariffs. The charge was the same to move to another supplier and £30 cashback when I moved. Plain daft marketing strategy on their part IMHO.

01/07/2015

- show quoted text - HA! so if these are fully smart meters, then they can cut you off remotely. Having done so (maybe in error?) then there will be no wifi connection to enable them to switch you back on! Brilliant-- not!

*** etc more on link ***

The reason I wanted to use smart meter was to stop having to grovel unders the stairs every month to read the two meters. (back troubles).

Reply to
mike

Let's say you stick a wifi equipped smart meter on your home network.

It has the ability to read every single wifi packet sent or received on that network and it has the ability to connect to any device anywhere on the Internet.

Is that really what you want?

99% of your security comes from your router protecting you from attacks from outside. Normally it will only let through responses to connections *you* have made.

99% of your wifi security comes from a password that means only devices you allow to see your internal network, can see it.

Now stick on a box that you allow access to your wifi, and which is fully connected to the internet?

And probably one that 'upgrades ' itself over the internet?

How ling before it 'upgrades;' itself to a hacked bit of trojan horse that scans your home network for all the bank details and logins and email addresses in use.

Of course its possible to build a firewall between 'appliance net' and 'home net' but who has the ability to do that?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lets say you fit one of the smart meters that the companies actually supply, the ones that don't have WiFi and use the mobile network to send data back.

You can tell they don't use WiFi because they will ask you what your mobile reception is like but they don't ask if you have an internet connection or even a phone line.

You can then safely disregard all the following.

Reply to
dennis

OVO installed SM's here in June...

Pro

  1. You know exactly what your consumption is second by second on the indoor display.
  2. You know exactly what your consumption was every 30min, per day, per week, month recorded/ stored via their web site.
  3. You no longer need to look at the readings and let them know, they are uploaded every night.

Cons They, or if hacked another, could cut you off in an instant. Risk tiny.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You no longer need to protect private data on your network, it is uploaded every night. And is no longer private.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

mike used his keyboard to write :

They don't use YOUR LAN or WiFi, they use a mobile sim to phone data home.

You can then use your PC to log into their web site, to see that data, or watch the indoor display unit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :

But does it really matter?

If someone were really that interested, my gas and leccy cupboards are outside and if someone so desperately wanted to, the could sneak round and get my readings directly. All they need is a 10p triangular key and a pen.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

well that at lest is almost secure

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some people worry about someone, who is entitled to, reading their meter readings, others aren't paranoid.

Reply to
dennis

No, you missed my point which wasn't actually a ppint since your meter doesn't use wifi anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My meters are also outside, however when they came to fit smart readers the model they had would not work from my electric meter as the distance was too great.

Reply to
Broadback

You can work out when people are away on holiday by analysing such data. It's only a matter of time before some criminal organisation does this to pick houses to burgle.

Way too labour intensive a way to be workable. A hacker & computer analysing 100,000 homes could however be profitable.

If there's one thing computing history teaches us, it's that some degree of paranoia is warranted with computer data. Of course some never learn.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do you arrange to down- and up-load data over your internet connection at home while you are away?

Reply to
Robin

But why would you want to ?. I read my meter regularly, at the same time and write the value and date on a bit of paper next to the meter. I know exactly what my daily consumption is summer and winter. All done with a biro.

Unless they intend to enforce differential charging that varies unpredictably with supply vs load, I cannot see any point in a smart meter. It will of course be very useful to collect the 'missing' fuel duty from people who have bought electric cars with the sole aim to save money, since it will know what devices are using power.

Reply to
Andrew

Someone paranoid enough to worry about smart meters wouldn't use the internet from home. They wouldn't have a phone either as the bad guys could phone up to see if you are home.

Reply to
dennis

dennis@home pretended :

Precisely, there are so many alternative ways to assess whether you at home or not and with much greater certainty than checking your consumption figures.

My Wifi is on and running, my lights come on and go off at appropriate times, I have cameras keeping an eye on the place and it is alarmed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield