Electrolux Freezer Problem - in need of QUICK bodge

We have an Electrolux chest-freezer which is not freezing. It's likely to be a thermostat problem. What I need immediately is a way to short it out so that I can freeze the contents again, and give me enough breathing-space to get a replacement. I've been quoted £20 for a replacement, does that seem about right?

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Pass.

I've been quoted £20 for a

seems a pretty good price.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The fast freeze switch does exactly that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This freezer doesn't have one.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Just wire across the main thermostat terminals. Run the freezer until it is at normal operating temperature and then power it via a plug in timeswitch which is say on for 30 minutes and off for two hours (say) to save over heating the compressor. If the temperature is not cold enough, decrease the off time a bit.

£15-£20 sounds about right. Make sure you get one with a long enough capiliary from sensor bulb to stat. I pull out the old one first Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Is the compressor running? I'm very surprised nobody else has asked this.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

It is because we have been answering the OPs question. Rare behaviour for some here but.....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for the reply. I could do that if I knew which terminals to connect. There are several to choose from.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Okay. I can't see where he says the compressor is running. However, if it is running it is *not* the stat, the compressor is knackered. End of days.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You will just have to follow then back to the mains in and the compressor. there will possibly be an earth to the stat and maybe one to a "on" lamp. but thre really only needs to be a simple make pair of contacts.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Apologies. There is complete silence from the machine and the red over-temperature light is not on. I followed an online troubleshooting chart that said the the most likely fault was in the thermostat. If I can bypass the thermostat I can hook up a bodge while I figure out what to do next.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

How old is the freezer? Are there any lights on? Have you checked the fuse?

Stat failure on a freezer is not common.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Havent you sorted this yet??? the food in there will be a bit manky soon (assuming you are not storing human heads in there or something like that :)

you will have to trace the wires back your self, as we can't say which wires/terminals to bridge unless someone has the exact same model,

or you may find there are a couple of screw holes on the stat, these are for calibrating it so to speak, if you wind one in it will close the contacts and make the compressor run, that's assuming it's the capillary tube that's gone on the stat and not the contacts.

Reply to
Gazz