"electric" central system

Hello all.

My neighbour has recently had a new bathroom installed. The thing that intrigues me is the arrangement for discharging the water into the drains. This is achieved via 2 22mm copper pipes which feed a hopper and then down a drain pipe where a significant percentage of it splashes out onto the drive. Has anybody seen anything like this before?

Thanks

Reply to
orakle999

I suggest that you immediately put your house on the market before the value falls further. You must live next door to Dr Drivel. He has dodgy plumbing as a result of his efforts with a hacksaw, although it's news that he has graduated from plastic to copper.

Does he look like this?

Here he is in his Prius

Andy Hall

Sorry, I forgot to add that he has also had an "electric central heating" system installed. Apparently it's a wet system with an electrically heated boiler. Could one of the 22mm pipes be to do with this system?

Reply to
orakle999

Presumably the two copper drains are from the two combis, right? I thought you weren't supposed to use copper for condensate drains (acidity)?

Reply to
Grunff

Get him to put it right. If he doesn't go to the council.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If it's a pressurised system then this could be the outlet from the pressure relief (safety) valve.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But would there be 2 pipes? and if one is a pressure relief valve, does this mean that I could be showered with hot water?

Reply to
orakle999

Lord Hall has facial hair too.

..Lord Hall wears a top hat, this is clearly so ..Lord Hall thinks the top hat is trendy and the go ..Lord Hall wears the top hat all through the week ..and the dead mouse upon his lip don't half reak ..he doesn't know it's there, as dead mice don't squeak

I wonder if Makita have a mussie removal attachment.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But how much water is flowing out of these copper pipes? I got the impression from the OP that he was talking bath/shower effluent rather than the trickle you'd get from condensate discharge? (can't really see that splashing out on the drive). Although bathroom waste water down

22mm copper is a new one on me!

David

Reply to
Lobster

There's a considerable amount, enough for it to splash onto the drive as it leaves the shoe (think that's the correct term) as the grid is unable to cope.

Reply to
orakle999

So there's no other pipes entering the hopper (*that's* the correct term!)? If so, that ain't condensate!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Can't see any other pipes, but I'll double check tonight. The shoe I refered to is the bit at the bottom just above the grid. Sorry about my incorrect use of plumbing terms. I believe that usually the pipe goes directly into the drain and is "sealed". This one just empties just above a grid.

Reply to
orakle999

Ah sorry, that bit is a shoe I think! Thought you were talking about a high-up bit at 1st floor level into which pipes run, and this was overflowing...

David

Reply to
Lobster

If this were an outlet from a pressure relief valve, it should be arranged so that that can't happen (according to building regulations).

Under extreme fault conditions, the water could be at least at mains pressure and boiling or close to it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yup, the bit at the bottom is a shoe. Many of the modern ones however are a poor design and throw a certain amount of water over the sides of many drains/gullys. Often using a 45 degree coupling in place of a shoe works better at getting most of the water in the drain.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't some of the macerators go down to 22mm?

Reply to
<me9

Thats the real problem, the down spout should end in a shoe (correct term) but go straight down into the gully. Shoes are OK for surface water, doesn't matter if that splashes about a bit but grey ought to be piped into the gully.

22mm copper as waste seems a bit odd in this day an age but I have seen larger copper used in the past.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Something like this would probably sort it very easily if it's a problem (but is it, though?!):

(or
> 22mm copper as waste seems a bit odd in this day an age but I have

Very odd! But indeed; I posted here for help a few weeks ago when trying to mend a leaking soil pipe made from 3.5" copper (with matching bathroom waste in 1.5" copper)! It was a new one on me, that's for sure.

David

Reply to
Lobster

My friend's flat has a similar arrangement. Her boiler is for hot water only and has a overflow valve that is caught by a funnel arrangement on the end of a drain pipe. This drain pipe (larger copper pipe goes underground into the carpark where water is discharged onto the floor. I believe this could be to stop the boiler exploding under extreme fault conditions?

Reply to
Aaron